LEICESTER, Mass. – The Becker Hawks spread the attack around with five players recording at least three kills, led by a team-high nine by freshman Ariana Gordon (Brockton, Mass.), as the Hawks defeated the Dean Bulldogs in straight sets on Tuesday night in New England Collegiate Conference play.
October 22, 2019
Score: Becker 3 – Dean 0 (25-16, 25-18, 25-12)
Records: The Becker College Hawks 8-14 (2-3 NECC) | The Colby-Sawyer College Chargers 6-16 (2-3 NECC)
The Hawks burst out in the opening set, winning 13 of the first 18 points in a set that was controlled by Becker. Dean made a run to cut the deficit to five, but a Hawks 5-0 run ended any thoughts of a comeback, as Becker won the first set 25-16.
In the second set, the Bulldogs and Hawks jockeyed for position throughout the set with Dean staying competitive in the middle frame. The teams were tied 16-16 when a 6-0 run by Becker put them in front with plenty of breathing room and the Hawks managed to close the set out with the final three points, winning the second set, 25-18.
In the final set, the Hawks controlled the play from the opening serve using a 10-0 spurt early in the set to take a 16-5 lead. The Bulldogs could only cut the deficit to seven, but another Hawks run marked the beginning of the end as Becker claimed the final three points of the set in a 25-12 third set win.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Gordon finished the night hitting .350 from the floor, a match-high on the evening.
- Freshman Teddie Flynn (Amesbury, Mass.) finished with seven kills and 12 digs.
- Senior Morgan Gould (North Attleboro, Mass.) had 20 assists while sophomore Joanna Bampi (Peabody, Mass.) finished with 19 assists; both match-highs.
- Senior Sofia Cullina (Deep River, Conn.) ended with a match-best eight service aces.
FOR THE BULLDOGS
- Senior Kait Anderson (Clinton, Conn.) had a match-high 10 kills.
- Sophomore Amanda Payne (Millis, Mass.) finished with a team-high 15 digs.
- Senior Melanie Rios-Nevarez (Vega Alta, Puerto Rico) added 13 assists.
The Hawks return to play on Saturday with a noon match at Fisher. The Bulldogs play twice on Saturday, hosting NECC foe Mitchell and non-conference opponent Mass Maritime at noon and 2:00 p.m., respectively.