LEICESTER, Mass. – Colonels sophomore Faith Herity (River Edge, N.J.) tied for a match-high with 10 kills, leading the Curry Colonels to a straight sets win over the Becker Hawks on Tuesday night at Leicester Gymnasium.
September 17, 2019
Score: Curry 3 – Becker 0 (25-20, 25-20, 25-13)
Records: The Becker College Hawks 5-3 | The Curry College Colonels 6-3
In the opening set, the Hawks and Colonels jockeyed for position with Becker holding a slim 12-10 lead, midway through the set. Curry used a five-point surge to overtake the lead 15-12 and held on to that slim margin in their first set win 25-20.
In the second set, Curry made their impact with a 9-3 run to seize control of the set at 17-9. The Hawks made a major comeback attempt, cutting the deficit to two points, but three straight Colonels kills finished off the second set, 25-20 in favor of Curry.
It was all visitors from the get-go in the final set with Curry winning 12 of the first 13 points. The Hawks could only pull to within six as the Colonels pulled away with the third set, 25-13, and the straight sets win.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Freshman Teddie Flynn (Amesbury, Mass.) equaled the match-high, finishing with 10 kills to go along with a match- and career-high 19 digs.
- Senior Sofia Cullina (Deep River, Conn.) and sophomore Joanna Bampi (Peabody, Mass.) both finished with 18 digs.
- Senior Olivia McGuinness (Colchester, Conn.) and junior Yesenia Aviles (Southbridge, Mass.) finished with two aces each.
FOR THE COLONELS
- Herity added 14 digs on the night for her first double-double of the season. Her 10 kills were a season-high.
- Sophomore Lexi Pereira (Attleboro, Mass.) and freshman Emilie Wilkenson (Lawrenceville, Ga.) both added seven kills in the win. Pereira had a match-high three aces.
- Senior Shea Mathews (Concord, N.H.) had a team-high 16 digs.
Becker hits the court again on Thursday for their third match of a six-match homestand as they welcome Albertus Magnus to Leicester Gymnasium for a 7:00 p.m. match. Curry returns to action tomorrow night, hosting Dean for a 6:00 p.m. match.