LEICESTER, Mass. – Becker College's women's volleyball team fell in three sets to the visiting Lancers of Worcester State by set scores of 25-10, 25-20, and 25-7 in a Thursday evening matchup inside the Leicester Gymnasium.
October 4, 2018
Score: Worcester State 3, Becker 0
Records: Worcester State (10-6) | Becker (5-7)
Worcester State's Amari King (Lawrence, Mass.) and Emily Carens (Northborough, Mass.) led the attack in the first set, as they recorded five and six points, respectively, on kills and service aces. The Lancers used a .297 attack percentage to push away from the Hawks early and prevail 25-10 for the first set win.
The second set was much closer in score than the first. Worcester State was the first to reach the board on kills from Carens and Lauren Murphy (Taunton, Mass.), but Becker was able to tie the score at 4-4 on a Kayla Dupree (North Bergen, N.J.) kill and a Worcester ball handling error. The match saw six more ties until Worcester State went on a 4-0 run on kills from Carens and Stephanie Chapin (Hampden, Mass.). The Hawks got within two twice again on attacks from Gillian Criddle (Earleville, Md.), however, Worcester then slowly edged away and won the set on a Chapin kill (25-20).
Worcester State scored eight straight points to begin the third set, including three service aces from Brooke Lamothe (Tewksbury, Mass.). Becker was forced to call a timeout and then put two up on the board on Worcester attack error and a kill from Morgan Gould (North Attleboro, Mass.). The Lancers would then go on an 8-1 run and put the game out of reach for the Hawks. The Lancers recorded a .524 attack percentage in the final set, while Becker held a match-best .133 in the third.
DIG THE DIGITS
- Worcester State posted a .296 team attack percentage, while Becker was held to just .054.
- The Lancers' Carens was the game-leader in kills with 14, and also logged a match-high five service aces. King and Chapin each had eight kills for the Blue and Gold.
- Becker's team-leader was Dupree who registered six kills with a .357 hitting percentage. She also logged two service aces and a block assist.
- Worcester State's Allie Nolan (Melrose, Mass.) logged a game-high 37 assists.
- Worcester State's Megan Leavens (Storrs, Conn.) and Becker's Joanna Bampi (Peabody, Mass.) recorded team-high's with 16 and 13 digs, respectively.
This Saturday (Oct. 6) the Hawks travel to Bay Path for their second conference matchup of the season. The match is set to start at 3 p.m. The Lancers resume play on the same date, playing both Regis and WPI in a tri-match in Weston, Mass.