LEICESTER, Mass. – The Becker College women's volleyball team blanked the visiting Falcons of Fitchburg State by set scores of 25-18, 25-15, and 25-18 Tuesday evening in non-conference action inside the Leicester Gymnasium.
September 6, 2018
Score: Becker 3, Fitchburg State 0
Records: Becker (3-1) | Fitchburg State (1-3)
Becker's Kayla Dupree (North Bergen, N.J.) logged four kills (.571 hitting percentage) in the first set to help Becker earn a 25-18 win over Fitchburg State. After three ties, Becker pushed away to a five point lead with Joanna Bampi (Peabody, Mass.) at the service. Fitchburg State came back and tied the score as Kristina Osborne (Ashby, Mass.) had back-to-back kills and then two service aces. Though, Becker pulled away with Sofia Cullina (Deep River, Conn.) at the service, and eventually prevailed 25-18 with Emily Peterman (Vancouver, Wash.) putting the final tally on the board.
Fitchburg State stayed within three in the second set and trailed by just one point (11-10) following an Osborne service ace. However, Fitchburg State attack errors and three consecutive kills from Dupree put the Hawks ahead 17-10. The Hawks' consistent play led them to a 25-15 second set victory.
Becker trailed 9-1 until Cullina changed the pace of the game and put a point on the board with a tip to the back corner of the court. The Hawks fought back and went on a 7-0 run with Cullina at the service to get within one point. The Hawks tied the game at 12-12 moments later on an attack from Dupree. After Fitchburg scored two on a Becker attack error and a kill by Lauren Riccardi (Tewksbury, Mass.), Becker took a two-point lead, and would score successive points to conquer the Falcons and finish the evening with a match win.
DIG THE DIGITS
- Becker's attack was led by Dupree who logged a .571 attack percentage (12-21), while Cullina and Morgan Gould (North Attleboro, Mass.) each had six kills apiece for the Hawks in the win.
- Olivia McGuinness (Colchester, Conn.) had 20 helpers in the victory for Becker.
- Cullina and Veronica Patella-Quinones (Tampa, Fla.) had four and three service aces, respectively.
- Bampi notched a team-high 17 digs in the contest.
- Fitchburg's attack was led by Osborne who registered six kills and four service aces.
- The Falcons' Jessica Pierce (Brentwood, N.H.) recorded a game-high 26 digs.
- As a team, the Hawks posted a .164 kill percentage, in comparison to Fitchburg's negative .026 percentage.
- Becker is 2-0 all-time against the Falcons, as they defeated them in three sets last season – Fitchburg's inaugural season.
Becker College hits the road this weekend as they travel to Massachusetts Maritime for an 11 a.m. game. Fitchburg State heads to WPI on the same date to take part of a tri-match with Southern Maine and the Engineers.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS