LEICESTER, Mass. – Hawks senior Kyra Teixeira (Old Lyme, Conn.) struck early in the second half for one of her two goals on the afternoon as the Becker Hawks earned a New England Collegiate Conference win over the Bay Path Wildcats, 2-0, on Saturday afternoon in the annual Breast Cancer Awareness Game at Alumni Field.
October 19, 2019
Score: Becker 2 – Bay Path 0
Records: The Becker College Hawks 9-6-2 (3-2 NECC) | The Bay Path University Wildcats 8-7 (2-4 NECC)
On the game's opening goal, Teixeira started the play with a pass down the left wing to junior Shannon Kelley (Bellingham, Mass.). Kelley dribbled down the left side, crossing a pass into the Wildcats penalty area.
That cross was cleared to the top-left corner of the box for an awaiting Teixeira, who settled the ball before curling a right-footed shot into the far side netting to break the scoreless tie and give Becker a 1-0 lead after 47 minutes.
The Wildcats responded to the goal, nearly tying the match just minutes later on a shot freshman Heaven Rodriquez (New Britain, Conn.) but Hawks sophomore goalie Lyndsey Cobb-Wilkins (Elmira, N.Y.) punched the ball over the crossbar, preserving the 1-0 lead.
Bay Path continued to apply the pressure throughout the second half, but Becker weathered the storm and eventually drew a penalty kick in the 84th minute for a chance to double the lead.
Teixeira, the team's leading scorer stepped to the dot and as Wildcats senior goalie Caitlyn Esposito (East Haven, Conn.) dove to her left, Teixeira fired a shot down the middle, adding an insurance goal for a 2-0 lead on Teixeira's 15th goal of the season.
FOR THE HAWKS
- The two-goal game is Teixeira's fourth game of the season with multiple goals.
- Hawks freshman Olivia Sherwood (Southington, Conn.) got the start for the Hawks in goal but was replaced at halftime by Cobb-Wilkins.
- Cobb-Wilkins made three saves for the Hawks, earning the win in the shared shutout, improving to 4-1 this season
FOR THE WILDCATS
- Rodriquez, along with senior Joanna Feliciano (Springfield, Mass.) and junior Jennifer Wilson (Tolland, Conn.) all had one shot on goal.
- Esposito made eight saves on the afternoon in the full 90 minutes but falls to 6-5 with the loss.
The Hawks head to Mitchell on Tuesday for a 3:30 p.m. match in the NECC. Bay Path looks to get back on track with a Thursday match at Pine Manor at 4:00 p.m.