BUZZARDS BAY, Mass. – Lindsey Keith (Sutton, Mass.) broke the Becker College all-time career goals record with her second consecutive hat-trick (fifth of the season), as the Hawks downed the Buccaneers of Massachusetts Maritime 6-0 in non-conference Columbus Day play. With her three goals in today's contest, she surpassed Caroline Plunkett (66 goals from 2009-12) and now holds 67 career goals.
October 8, 2018
Clean Harbors Stadium
Score: Becker 6, Massachusetts Maritime 0
Records: Becker (7-4-2) | Massachusetts Maritime (1-9-0)
Becker opened the scoring early in the game when Alana Garofalo (Berlin, Conn.) scored in the sixth minute. Throughout the remainder of the first half neither team would find the back of the net. The game headed to the half, 1-0, in favor of Becker.
In the second half, the Becker defense didn't allow the Buccaneer offense to get off a shot while their offense had much better luck on the other end of the field. Though the Bucs were down just one at the break and had some opportunities, Becker would go on to score in the 47th and 50th minutes, then follow those up with Keith's hat-trick in the 51st, 54th and 88th minutes to seal the 6-0 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Keith logged her fifth hat-trick of the season to break the all-time career goals record. She currently has 18 on the season, and 67 total in a Becker uniform.
- The Hawks had four different goal scorers in the game. Shannon Kelley (Bellingham, Mass.), Garofalo, and Chelsea Sedar (Bridgewater, Mass.) each had a goal. Garofalo's proved to be the game winner in sixth minute.
- In goal, Lyndsey Cobb-Wilkins (Elmira, N.Y.) started for the Hawks, saving the only shot she faced for the win. In the second half, Jordyn Martel (Chicopee, Mass.) took over and didn't see a shot the entire half.
- The Buccaneers had just two shots in the game, off the feet of Anna Deely (Mastons Mills, Mass.) and Brooke Miles (Lynn, Mass.). Only Deely's was on target.
- In net for the Buccs, Mikayla Houlihan (Middleboro, Mass.) started the game, allowing one goal on four shots she faced, saving the other three, before leaving the game with an apparent arm injury. Defender, Rachel Gardner (Bourne, Mass.) took over the goalkeeping duties and allowed five goals on 13 shots, saving eight.
The Becker women's soccer team returns home on Wednesday (Oct. 10), hosting Bay Path in a 4 p.m. conference matchup. The Hawks' "PINK GAME"/Breast Cancer Awareness game is scheduled for that date.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Portions of this Release Courtesy of Mass. Maritime Sports Information