LEICESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College women's soccer team lost 3-1 to visiting University of Massachusetts Dartmouth on a rainy Tuesday evening at Alumni Field on the Becker campus in Leicester.
October 2, 2018
Alumni Field, Leicester
Score: UMass Dartmouth 3, Becker 1
Records: UMass Dartmouth (4-5-3) | Becker (5-4-2)
As the rain and fog settled in over Alumni Field, the Corsairs stepped up the aggression to open the game. In the tenth minute, UMass Dartmouth freshman midfielder Sarah Vieira (Dartmouth, Mass. / Dartmouth) launched a beautiful long cross from the deep left side that caught the Becker defense out of position, setting up senior back Taryn Carley (Kingston, Mass. / Silver Lake) for an easy goal, her second of the season, as the Corsairs went up 1-0.
Becker appeared ready to answer three minutes later when sophomore midfielder Shannon Kelley (Bellingham, Mass. / Blackstone Valley Technical) broke free on a breakaway. But Kelley's shot glanced off the right post and the Hawks continued to trail.
In the 15th minute, it was UMass Dartmouth employing the breakaway down the middle of the field, as senior midfielder Courtney Hewitt (North Attleboro, Mass. / North Attleboro) found junior midfielder Ella Rath (Pawcatuck, Conn. / Stonington) for her team-leading fifth goal of the season as the Corsairs took a 2-0 lead.
The Hawks would see two more scoring opportunities come up just short before the end of the opening period. In the 20th minute, Kelley again hit the post, this time off a header. And in the 24th minute, freshman midfielder Alana Garofalo (Berlin, Conn. / Berlin) took a corner from senior forward Lindsey Keith (Sutton, Mass. / Sutton) and attempted to head it in, only to see the shot glance off the crossbar. The game went into halftime with the Corsairs still leading 2-0.
In the second half, Becker finally got on the board just 55 seconds into the period when Keith recovered her own shot off a block and blasted it home from 25 yards out into the right side as the Hawks cut the lead in half, down 2-1. It was Keith's team-leading 12th goal of the season.
Then with 4:47 to go in the game, Rath took a free kick from 25 yards out from the right and bent it into the left corner and into the net for her sixth goal of the year as the Corsairs went up 3-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• UMass Dartmouth enjoyed a 21-13 advantage in shots with an 11-5 edge in shots-on-goal.
• Corner kicks were likewise 4-3 in favor of the Corsairs.
• Keith now has 61 goals over the course of her storied career with eight games remaining in the regular season of this, her senior year. The school record stands at 66, set by former Hawk Caroline Plunkett from 2009 to 2012.
• Becker senior goalkeeper Jordyn Martel (Chicopee, Mass. / Chicopee) played the first half for the Hawks, tallying six saves. Freshman goalkeeper Lyndsey Cobb-Wilkins (Elmira, N.Y. / Elmira) played the second half, recording two stops.
• UMass Dartmouth senior goalkeeper Korina Miguel (New Bedford, Mass. / New Bedford) recorded four saves over 90 minutes.
• Keith and Kelley each led the Hawks with four shots on the night. Rath had five shots in the game.
The Hawks are back in action on Saturday when they go on the road to play Newbury College in NECC action beginning at 3:00 p.m. That game will be played on the campus of Regis College. The Corsairs face their next opponent on Saturday when they host Castleton University in a 12:00 p.m. game.
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics