LEICESTER, Mass. --- Becker senior forward Lindsey Keith (Sutton, Mass. / Sutton) had a hat trick with three goals and one assist as the Becker College women's soccer team won 6-0 over visiting Mitchell College in New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) play on Saturday at Alumni Field on the Becker campus in Leicester.
With her third goal of the day – a breakaway down the middle in the 57th minute – Keith became Becker's all-time career points leader with 142, breaking the previous market set by Caroline Plunkett with 141 from 2009 to 2012.
September 22, 2018
Alumni Field, Leicester
Score: Becker 6, Mitchell 0
Records: Becker (4-2-2, 1-0-1 NECC) | Mitchell (1-6, 0-2 NECC)
Becker dominated possession early and often, accumulating multiple scoring opportunities. The Hawks broke into the goals column in the 7th minute when sophomore midfielder Shannon Kelley (Bellingham, Mass. / Blackstone Valley Technical) launched a perfect cross from the left side and found freshman forward Skyler Tenney (Jaffrey, N.H. / Conant) for the finish as Becker went ahead 1-0. Then in the 35th minute, Keith broke free up the middle, dribbled from 15 yards out and blasted a shot past the keeper for her team-leading ninth goal of the season. The Hawks went into halftime lead 2-0.
In the second half, Becker wasted little time adding to their lead. Keith took a pass from Kelley and beat the keeper in the 53rd minute for her second goal of the game as the Hawks went up 3-0. Just 23 seconds later, Becker sophomore midfielder Chelsea Sedar (Bridgewater, Mass. / Bridgewater-Raynham) had a shot saved off the keeper, only for Kelley to pounce on the put- back for her second goal of the year. Then in the 55th minute, a save off a shot by Keith was again recovered by Kelley for her second goal of the game and third of the season as the Hawks went up 5-0.
Finally, in the 57th minute, Keith broke through on a solo breakaway, beating the keeper for her 11th goal of the season as her teammates, family and the Hawk fans celebrated her breaking the career points record.
The 6-0 lead would hold up for the final score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Becker outshot Mitchell on the day, 40-1.
• In her first career start, Becker sophomore goalkeeper Jordyn Spitzley (Portland, Mich. / Portland) played for all 90 minutes, recording one save and recording her first career shutout. Mitchell senior goalkeeper Drew Johndrow (Killingly, Conn. / Killingly) finished the day with 14 stops for the Mariners.
• With 60 career goals, Keith is just six away from tying the all-time career record of 66, that record also set by Caroline Plunkett.
• Keith led the Hawks with nine shots in the game while Tenney and freshman midfielder Alana Garofalo (Berlin, Conn. / Berlin) each finished with five.
• Mitchell sophomore midfielder Lindsey Fairbank (Newington, Conn. / Newington) posted the Mariners' sole shot of the game in the closing minutes, that saved by Spitzley.
• As of press time, Keith's 11 goals on the season lead the NECC.
The Hawks are back on the field on Wednesday when travel to Fisher College for a 5:30 p.m. game. The Mariners travel to Old Westbury for their next game, that coming on Tuesday at 4:00 p.m.
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics