PITTSBURGH – The Hawks offense got five goals from five different players, earning a split of a two-game weekend with a 5-2 win over the Chatham Cougars on Saturday evening in non-conference play.
November 2, 2019
Pittsburgh Ice Arena
Score: Becker 5 – Chatham 2
Records: The Becker College Hawks 1-1 | The Chatham University Cougars 1-1
A third period goal, 12 seconds into the frame by sophomore Clare Conway (Billerica, Mass.) proved to be a vital tally in what became a three-goal final period for Becker.
Sophomore Kylian Kelly (Shrewsbury, Mass.) assisted on Conway's goal that gave the Hawks a 3-1 advantage.
The 3-1 advantage held until Cougars senior Holly Ackerman (East Rockaway, N.Y.) cut the deficit on her second goal of the season with 3:06 remaining in the game.
But the Hawks held off the Cougars attack in the final three minutes and a pair of empty net goals by freshman Katie Puumala (Framingham, Mass.) and junior Cameron Payne (Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.) gave the Hawks the 5-2 win.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Sophomore Gabby Petrisin (High Bridge, N.J.) scored her first of the season, a power play goal in the first period, assisted by Kelly and sophomore Julia Ravenelle (Barrington, N.H.).
- Freshman Nikki DeCola (New Haven, Conn.) tallied her first career goal, which gave the Hawks a 2-1 lead in the second. Freshman Shelby Reaugh (Raleigh, N.C.) assisted on the goal.
- Freshman Madelyn Morgan (Riverside, Calif.) made 40 saves in her first start for the Hawks, improving to 1-0 this season.
FOR THE COUGARS
- Freshman Rylee Schumacher (Erie, Pa.) started the scoring on the night with a first period, unassisted goal at 5:01.
- Senior Devon Strachan (Philadelphia, Pa.) made a season-high 57 saves, the second-highest total of her career. She moves to 1-1 with the loss.
The Hawks return to action with a home-and-home series next Friday and Saturday nights against Salve Regina. The Seahawks will host the Friday game at 7:00 p.m. at the St. George's School Ice Rink. Chatham hosts Lebanon Valley on Nov. 9 at the Pittsburgh Ice Center at 7:40 p.m.