SHELTON, Conn. --- The Becker College women's ice hockey team won 2-0 at Post University on Friday afternoon at the Sports Center of Connecticut in Shelton, Connecticut.
January 18, 2019
Sports Center of Connecticut, Shelton, Connecticut
Score: Becker 2, Post 0
Records: Post (6-15) | Becker (3-11-3)
• The first period was evenly matched throughout and appeared to headed for a scoreless conclusion when Becker sophomore defender Cameron Payne (Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. / Los Osos) scored with just 13 seconds remaining as the Hawks went ahead 1-0 just before the first intermission. Assists went to senior forward Bailey Coons (Casper, Wyo. / Team Wyoming) and sophomore forward Katherine Capobianco (North Andover, Mass. / North Andover).
• Shots on goal in the first period were 10-7 in favor of Becker.
• The second period was hotly contested, as the Eagles fought to find the equalizer. Nevertheless, the Hawk defense proved stingy, and Becker would continue to lead 1-0 going into the third period.
• Shots in the second period were 16-12 in favor of Post.
• With time running out for the Eagles, Post went on a power-play late for an extra-player advantage. That would backfire on the hosts as, with 4:30 remaining in the game, Becker freshman defender Kylian Kelly (Shrewsbury, Mass.) came up with her first career goal on an unassisted shot to give Becker the 2-0 lead.
• Shots in the third period were 22-3 in favor of the Hawks.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Becker senior goalkeeper Julia Johnson (Littleton, Colo. / Walpole Express) finished the day with 26 saves between the pipes for her first shutout victory of the season.
• Post junior goalkeeper Jenna Baumgartner (Roseau, Minn. / Roseau) tallied 42 saves in the loss.
• For the game, Becker outshot Post, 44-26.
• Combined with their 3-1 victory on Tuesday night against Suffolk University, this marks the first time the Hawks have won back-to-back games since their 2-1 victory over Lebanon Valley College on January 22nd, 2017.
The Hawks are back on the ice next Friday when they play host to Salve Regina University. The puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. The Eagles, meanwhile, have a quick turnaround as they host Sacred Heart University on Saturday at 5:00 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics