WORCESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College women's ice hockey team lost 6-1 to visiting Sacred Heart University on Friday night at the Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center in Worcester.
November 30, 2018
Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center, Worcester
Leicester Gymnasium, Leicester
Score: Sacred Heart 6, Becker 1
Records: Sacred Heart (10-4-1) | Becker (0-8-2)
• Sacred Hear junior forward Victoria Grimmer (Reading, Mass. / Reading Memorial) got the scoring started 7:45 into the first on her fifth goal of the season.
• The Pioneers outshot the Hawks 20-3 in the first.
• Just 56 seconds into the second period, Sacred Heart freshman forward Anna Klein (Saint Paul, Minn. / Cretin-Derham Hall) scored her fourth goal of the season to put the Pioneers up 2-0, with an assist to junior forward Maddie Bishop (Wethersfield, CT / East Catholic).
• Sacred Heart senior forward Lilly Cleary (Norwell, Mass. / Norwell) found the back of the net 7:13 into the second off a pass from freshman forward Samantha Shoebottom (Scarborough, Maine / The Hill School) as the visitors went up 3-0.
• Becker finally got on the board 7:53 into the game when senior forward Claudia Gee (Randolph, Vt. / Vermont Shamrocks) scored her first goal of the season, assisted by freshman forward Clare Conway (Billerica, Mass.).
• Shotebottom put the Pioneers ahead 4-1 with 6:29 to go in the second on a put-back. It was the rookie's seventh goal of her career.
• Then with 2:42 to go in the second, the visitors took a commanding 5-1 lead when Sacred Heart rookie defender Kennedy Spiering (Mounds View, Montana / Cretin-Derham Hall) scored her second goal of the year, unassisted.
• The Pioneers outshot the Hawks 15-5 in the second.
• The game saw its first power-play goal 2:18 into the third when Sacred Heart junior defender Jayne Lewis (Troy, Ill. / New Hampton School, N.H.) capitalized on a Becker penalty to make it 6-1, assisted by freshman defender Kelly Solak (Grosse Point Woods, Mich. / Belle Tire) and junior defender Olivia Bryant (Lexington, Mass. / Lexington). That would be the final score.
• The Pioneers outshot the Hawks 14-2 in the third.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Sacred Heart senior goalie Sarah Erban (Attleboro, Mass. / Tilton School) finished with nine saves between the pipes.
• Becker senior goalkeeper Madison Rigsby (O'Fallon, Mo. / Dallas Stars Elite) got the start, tallying 30 saves through two periods. Senior goalkeeper Julia Johnson (Littleton, Colo. / Walpole Express) entered the game in relief in the third, finishing with 13 stops.
• For the game, the Pioneers outshot the Hawks, 49-10.
• Becker went 0 for 0 on the power play, while Sacred Heart was 1 for 6.
The Hawks and Pioneers are back on the ice on Saturday when Becker travels to Sacred Heart for a 1:00 p.m. game.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics