LEICESTER, Mass. – The Becker College women's basketball team broke an NCAA era school record for wins in a single season (19), as they triumphed over the Nighthawks of Newbury College, 57-49, in the quarterfinal round of the New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) women's basketball tournament on Tuesday (Feb. 19).
February 19, 2019
Score: Becker 57, Newbury 49
Records: Becker (19-7) | Newbury (10-16)
FOR THE HAWKS
- Becker's junior guard Cassidy Harrison (Foxborough, Mass.) registered a double-double of 20 points and 10 steals in the win. The 10 steals ties the Becker school record for steals in a single game. She also recorded a game-high four offensive rebounds and three assists.
- Senior forward Sarah Ware (Oakham, Mass.) netted 13 points with six rebounds, four steals, and three assists.
- Ciara McKissick (Charlton, Mass.) went 4-for-9 from the floor with a free throw shot to accumulate nine points. She also brought down a team-high eight boards.
- Jazlyn Contreras (Pawtucket, R.I.) and Adrianna Dowdy (East Haven, Conn.) chipped in eight and six points, respectively.
- Becker shot 30.3 percent from the field, and just 18.8 percent from three-point range.
- The Hawks caused 31 Newbury turnovers, which led to 20 Becker points.
FOR THE NIGHTHAWKS
- Newbury's sophomore forward Jaymesha Sanders (West Haven, Conn.) led the team with a double-double of 12 points and 10 rebounds. She also registered three assists and the team's lone block of the game.
- Taylor Kelley (North Billerica, Mass.) also put up 12 points, going 4-for-11 from three-point range.
- Both Savannah Olsen (Battle Creek, Mich.) and Meechie Manuel (Mobile, Ala.) had eight points for the Nighthawks. Olsen was second on the team in rebounds with seven.
- Newbury shot 42.2 percent from the floor, and 38.5 percent from beyond the arc.
- The Nighthawks held a 38-35 edge in rebounds over the Hawks.
Besides a 4-3 edge early in the game following an Olsen layup with 7:54 on the clock in the first, Becker did not allow Newbury to lead again in the first two quarters. The Hawks held a 27-24 edge at halftime.
Newbury attained its second lead of the game with 7:30on the clock in the third when Kelley drained her second trey of the quarter. However, Becker's Ware quickly responded with one of her own on the next possession to put the Hawks back atop. The Hawks extended its lead to eight with just over a minute to go in the third and held a six-point advantage heading into the final frame.
Midway through the fourth quarter, Newbury pushed back and got within one when Kelley made, yet, another triple. Ware made one for Becker on the opposite end and the score stood at 50-47, in favor of Becker. With 1:36 on the clock in the fourth, Contreras came in big and stole the ball on a Newbury inbound pass, which led to a fast break layup to put the Hawks ahead by five. With the shot clock winding down on the Hawks' next possession, McKissick made a deep jumper to send the Hawks up by seven. Newbury's Manuel scored with 41 seconds to go, but Becker's Dowdy and Harrison made free throws to seal the final score at 57-49.
- The Becker women's basketball team broke a single season record for wins with 19 (during the NCAA era). The Hawks' previous record stood at 18 as they recorded that during both the 2007-08 and 2017-18 seasons.
- With the win, Becker's all-time record against Newbury stands at 18-21.
- During the regular season, Becker defeated Newbury by scores of 62-56 and 66-54 on Dec. 7 and Jan. 11, respectively.
No. 3 Becker will advance to the semifinal round of the NECC tournament and will travel to No. 2 Mitchell (17-9) on Thursday, Feb. 21, as the Mariners defeated the Blazers of Elm College earlier tonight by a score of 66-49. Newbury wraps up their season with a final record of 10-16.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS