LEICESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College women's basketball team won 63-49 over visiting Mitchell College on Thursday evening at the Leicester Gymnasium on the Becker campus in Leicester.
The game was a matchup of the top two teams in the current New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) standings. With the victory, the Hawks take over first place by virtue of head-to-head tie-breakers.
January 17, 2019
Leicester Gymnasium, Leicester
Score: Becker 63, Mitchell 49
Records: Becker (11-5, 8-1 NECC) | Mitchell (9-6, 8-1 NECC)
FOR THE HAWKS
• Junior guard Cassidy Harrison (Foxborough, Mass. / Foxborough) led the Hawks with 17 points, six steals and four assists.
• Senior forward Adrianna Dowdy (East Haven, Conn. / Hill Regional Career) carried Becker in the first half, finishing with 14 points, nine rebounds and two steals.
• Senior forward Ciara McKissick (Charlton, Mass. / Shepherd Hill Regional) contributed a double-double with 11 points, 11 rebounds, four assists and four steals. McKissick's scoring total included a three-pointer with 5:07 to go in the third quarter; the first career three-pointer for McKissick in 80 career games.
• Junior forward Sarah Ware (Oakham, Mass. / Quabbin Regional) added nine points and four rebounds.
• Sophomore guard Jazlyn Contreras (Pawtucket, R.I. / St. Mary Academy Bay View) was a terror on the defensive end with four steals. The sophomore also finished with five points and four rebounds.
• Junior guard Kelsey Maynard (Millville, Mass. / Tri-County Vocational) chipped in seven points off the bench in just 17 minutes, continuing her strong play of late.
• Becker has now won five in a row.
FOR THE MARINERS
• Freshman forward Amina Wiley (New Rochelle, N.Y. / New Rochelle) led Mitchell with 20 points on 9-of-12 shooting, with seven rebounds.
• Junior guard Kelsey Hernandez (New Britain, Conn. / New Britain) added 11 points, five rebounds and three assists.
• Freshman guard Le'Sandra Turner (New Rochelle, N.Y. / New Rochelle) added eight points, five steals and four rebounds.
• Entering the second half with a 27-22 lead, Becker appeared to have the game well in hand as they finished the third quarter with a 14-3 run to take a commanding 49-32 lead going into the final stanza, a ran capped off with a put-back by Dowdy.
• In the fourth, the Mariners would rally. Trailing by 16 with 6:56 to go, Mitchell exploded with an 11-0 run capped off with a three-point play from freshman forward Ramzie Jones (East Hartford, Conn. / East Hartford) with 4:03 to go. But the Hawks answered with an 11-0 run of their own, with McKissick hitting a put-back layup with 37 seconds left to put the game out of reach.
• The game was a rematch of last season's NECC Semifinals matchup where Becker cruised to a 75-50 victory on the road to their first NECC Championship
The Hawks are back on the court on Saturday when they travel to Lesley University to face the Lynx at 3:30 p.m. The Mariners, meanwhile, travel to Dean College on Saturday for a 12:00 p.m. game.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics