WESTON, Mass. --- Freshman shortstop Sarah Ellis (Berkley, Mass. / Bristol County Agricultural) hit a walk-off RBI single to left with two outs in the bottom of the seventh to lift the Becker College softball team to a 4-3 victory over Newbury College in the Championship Round of the New England Collegiate Conference Playoffs on Saturday on the campus of Regis College in Weston.
The second-seeded Hawks of Becker (21-15) will play for the NECC Championship on Sunday at 12:00 p.m., once again on the campus of Regis College.
Scores: Becker College, 4; Newbury College, 3
Records: #2 Becker College Hawks (21-15)
#4 Newbury College Nighthawks (17-20)
Location: Weston, Mass. – Regis College Field
Date: Saturday, May 5, 2018
THE LEAD: Freshman shortstop Sarah Ellis (Berkley, Mass.) delivered a walk-off RBI single in the bottom of the seventh inning to break a 3-3 tie and power No. 2 Becker College over No. 4 Newbury College, 4-3, in winner's bracket action of the 2018 New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) softball tournament action on Saturday afternoon at Regis College.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Newbury used four singles in the second inning to take an early 1-0 lead as sophomore second baseman Tina Babcock (Ayer, Mass.) drove in the game's first run with an RBI single that popped over a shallow infield on the right side. The Nighthawks threatened for more but stranded the bases loaded to settle for the one run.
• In the fourth, Newbury loaded the bases but the Hawks were able to escape the jam unharmed to keep the score at 1-0.
• Becker took its first lead of the game on two runs in the bottom half of the fifth with both scores coming with two outs to make it a 2-1 game. Senior centerfield Rebecca Carkhuff (Amherst, Mass.) evened the score at 1-1 with an RBI single to left and came around to score the go-ahead run on an RBI double to left center by Ellis to take the one-run lead.
• The lead was short as the Nighthawks tied the game up in the sixth on an RBI single to left by Alina Milauskas (Elkridge, Md.) to even the score at 2-2. Newbury again loaded the bases before Becker was able to get out of the inning with just the one run allowed.
• Becker junior left fielder Vasia Murphy (Dracut, Mass.) belted a two-out solo blast to left in the bottom of the sixth to give the Hawks the temporary lead at 3-2 but the Nighthawks responded with a run in the top of the seventh to keep the action going. Junior Alexis Vieira (Pawtucket, R.I.) led off the inning with a walk and came around to score the tying run on an RBI groundout by Mallory Stefan (Thornton, Colo.) to make it 3-3.
• With a 2-0 count, Ellis delivered the walk-off RBI single to left, plating Carkhuff from second to account for the 4-3 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Senior hurler Samantha Lee (Prospect, Conn.) went the distance to earn the win and improve to 14-10 on the year for the Hawks allowing three runs (one earned) on 10 hits while striking out one.
• Stefan suffered the defeat allowing four runs (three earned) on eight hits to go along with three punchouts.
• Ellis finished the game going 2-for-3 at the plate with two RBI for her 15th multi-hit game of her rookie campaign.
• The Hawks held Newbury powerhouse Noelle Sass (Randolph, Mass.) snapping her seven-game hitting streak.
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics