LEICESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College men's soccer team lost 3-1 to visiting Castleton University on Sunday afternoon at Alumni Field on the campus of Becker College in Leicester.
October 20, 2019
Alumni Field, Leicester, Mass.
Score: Castleton 3, Becker 1
Records: The Spartans of Castleton 4-11 | The Hawks of Becker 1-14-1
- The Spartans struck first 11:34 into the contest when Castleton freshman Eric Maxham (Rutland, Vt. / West Rutland) capitalized on a failed Becker clear, intercepting a goal kick then beating a defender and scoring for his second goal of the season as the visitors went ahead 1-0. That score would hold up going into halftime.
- In the 52 minute, the Hawks would finally find the answer when Becker junior forward Colby Koch (Norfolk, Mass. / King Philip Regional) found a streaking sophomore forward Isaiah McCaskill (Springfield, Mass. / Springfield Renaissance) who finished for his team-leading eighth score of the year as the home team tied it up 1-1.
- Then with just under 27 minutes remaining, the Spartans broke through again as Castleton senior midfielder Jack Kingdon (Woodbury, Conn. / Bridgton Academy) scored his team-leading 11th goal of the year, assisted by sophomore midfielder Rida Kori (Khartoum, Sudan / Burlington) as the visitors retook the lead at 2-1.
- Just two minutes later, it would by Kingdon again beating the Becker defense for his twelfth goal of the season. This time, Castleton junior midfielder Jacob Godfrey (Castleton, Vt. / Rutland) was credited with the assist as the Spartans took a 3-1 advantage. That would hold up for the final score.
FOR THE HAWKS OF BECKER
- Becker junior goalkeeper Sam Majewski (Warren, Mass. / Quaboag Regional Middle) recorded seven saves on the afternoon. As of press time, the third-year keeper ranks second in the NECC in saves.
- The Hawks had a golden opportunity to pull to within one with 21:15 to go when Becker freshman defender Chris Antonelli (Commack, N.Y. / Commack) received a cross-pass and headed it towards the goal from ten yards out. But the ball sailed just high of the crossbar, keeping the score 3-1.
- Then with 13:45 to go, Becker sophomore midfielder Seidon Nemeth (St. Thomas, Virgin Islands / Niwot) took a free kick from the left side and bent a beautiful shot towards the Castleton goal. But the keeper got a good jump on it and wrapped it up as the Hawks' unlucky steak continued.
FOR THE SPARTANS OF CASTLETON
- Castleton freshman goalkeeper Andres Soto-Burgos (Bronx, N.Y. / Salesian) tallied four saves in net in picking up the win.
Prior to the game, the Becker College athletics department and the men's soccer program took a few moments to recognize the three student-athletes of this year's senior class. Senior defender Jonathan Gonzalez (Douglas, Mass. / Douglas), senior midfielder Matthew Hillsberg (Burlington, Conn. / Lewis S. Mills) and senior midfielder Andrew Agen (Parkesburg, Pa. / Octorara) were honored by teammates, coaches, family and fans for all their contributions to the program these last four years. Although their playing careers may be coming to an end, they will forever be a part of the Hawks family.
Becker is back on the field on Wednesday when they travel to Mitchell College for a 3:30 p.m. NECC contest. Castleton hosts Sage College in their next contest, that coming on Wednesday at 4:00 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics