LEICESTER, Mass. – Blue Jays sophomore DeAnte Anderson (Bloomfield, Conn.) led a comeback by USJ, scoring two of his team's four second half goals, as the University of St. Joseph Blue Jays defeated the Becker Hawks, 4-1 on Wednesday evening at Alumni Field.
September 18, 2019
Score: St. Joseph (Conn.) 4 – Becker 1
Records: The Becker College Hawks 1-5-0 | The University of St. Joseph Blue Jays 4-1-0
Anderson broke a 1-1 tie in the 73rd minute with his second goal of the game, proving to hold up as the game-winning goal, his second of the season.
Blue Jays junior Gaetano LaBella (Wethersfield, Conn.) made a perfectly timed pass into Anderson at the penalty spot.
Anderson found himself alone, faked a shot to get the goalie out of position, and slid a shot into the wide-open net, giving USJ a 2-1 lead.
The Blue Jays trailed 1-0 after the opening half and answered to tie the match in the 54th minute on a goal from Anderson, his first of the match.
The play originated on the right-wing with sophomore Hayden Burbank (Southington, Conn.) sending a beautiful cross to the head of Anderson. He redirected the flick into the far-side netting to tie the match.
USJ would add two more goals in the second half to pull away in the 4-1 victory.
Sophomore Daniel Castro (Willimantic, Conn.) and freshman Benjamin Marchetti (Higganum, Conn.) both scored from close range in the four-goal second half.
McCaskill ran onto a loose ball on the left-wing and slid a through ball into Audain toward the top left corner of the penalty area.
Audain struck the ball first time, firing a shot past the near-side post of Blue Jays senior goalie Joseph Boland (Rhinebeck, N.Y.) to give Becker a 1-0 lead.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Audain's goal marks the first of his career and gives him his first career points.
- McCaskill added his first assist of the season on Audain's goal. McCaskill now has three goals and one assist this season.
- Hawks junior Sam Majewski (Warren, Mass.) finished with nine saves but falls to 1-5 on the season.
FOR THE BLUE JAYS
- Anderson's pair of goals gives him three on the season. He's now scored in back-to-back games for USJ.
- Castro's goal in the 83rd minute is the second of his season.
- Marchetti's 86th minute tally is the first of his career.
- Boland made four saves for the Blue Jays and improves to 4-1 with the victory.
Becker starts their New England Collegiate Conference schedule in their next game, heading to Lesley on Saturday evening for a 6:00 p.m. kick. USJ prepares to host Lasell on Saturday at 2:30 p.m.