LEICESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College men's soccer team fought visiting Southern Vermont College to a 1-1 double-overtime draw on Tuesday evening at Alumni Field on the Becker campus in Leicester.
October 16, 2018
Alumni Field, Leicester
Score: Becker 1, Southern Vermont 1 (2OT)
Records: Southern Vermont (2-11-3, 0-3-3 NECC) | Becker (2-10-2, 1-3-1 NECC)
• The first half was hotly contested throughout, as the Hawks looked to score throughout.
• Becker freshman forward Isaiah McCaskill (Springfield, Mass. / Springfield Renaissance) tallied five shots himself in rapid succession, with many missing just high or off the post.
• Southern Vermont freshman goalkeeper Tyler Mackie (Danville, N.H. / Timberlane) proved up to the challenge, recording eight saves in the opening frame.
• Becker held a 20-5 shot advantage in the half but was unable to find the net as the score remained 0-0 going into halftime.
• In the 69th minute, Southern Vermont broke the deadlock as freshman defender Tim Carper (Hereford, Md. / Hereford) capitalized on a loose ball deflected off the keeper right in front of the net as the Mountaineers took a 1-0 lead.
• With three-and-a-half minutes left in the game, the Hawks had a great chance to tie off a free kick landed right in a cluster in front of the goal. Sophomore forward Colby Koch (Norfolk, Mass. / King Philip Regional) got a shot off, but Mackie turned the shot away and the Mountaineers were able to clear it to end the threat.
• With 34 seconds remaining, the game shifted on a hard foul called against the Mountaineers in the Southern Vermont box. Freshman midfielder Siedon Nemeth (St. Thomas, Virgin Islands / Niwot) took the penalty kick, faking out the goalie and shooting it into the low middle for his fourth goal of the season as the Becker bench exploded in celebration. The teams went into overtime, tied 1-1.
• The first overtime ended with a double-ejection, leading to both teams playing the second overtime a man down. But despite all of it, neither team could find the golden goal and the game would end with a tie.
BY THE NUMBERS
• Shots were 42-12 in favor of Becker, who also had a 19-8 edge in shots-on-goal.
• The Hawks had a 12-3 advantage in corner kicks.
• Becker sophomore goalkeeper Sam Majewski (Warren, Mass. / Quaboag Regional Middle) tallied seven saves on the game for the Hawks, while Mackie posted 18 stops for Southern Vermont.
• McCaskill and Coch each had nine shots for the Hawks.
The Hawks will look to bounce back on Saturday when they travel to Newbury College for a 5:00 p.m. contest. The Mountaineers are also back in action on Saturday when they head to Dean College for a 3:00 p.m. game.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics