WESTON, Mass. – Despite a hat-trick from Becker's rookie Tyler Forest (Simi Valley, Calif.) the Hawks were defeated by the Pride of Regis College by a score of 11-5 in Thursday afternoon non-conference action.
March 21, 2019
Score: Regis 11, Becker 5
Records: Regis (2-2) | Becker (0-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Regis came out to a quick 3-0 lead in the first period as the Pride saw goals from Tucker Cherry (Franklin, Mass.), Michael Daras (Danvers, Mass.) and Brian Wagner (Melrose, Mass.). Zach Leighton (Wilmington, Mass.) assisted the first two goals.
- Becker reached the board just 19 seconds into the second period when Forest scored his first collegiate goal to make the score 3-1. However, Regis' Leighton sparked a 4-0 run to advance the score to 7-1. Forest scored again on a helper from Daniel Whittenburg (Eastford, Conn.) with just one second remaining in the second quarter to set the halftime score at 7-2, in favor of the Pride.
- The Pride scored three in the third, while Becker's Forest tallied his third goal on a helper from Nathan Cornejo (Douglas, Mass.). Regis led 10-3 at the end of the third.
- Both Cornejo and Cameron Sangster (Columbus, Ohio) scored their first collegiate goals in the fourth period, but it wasn't enough to catch up to the Pride. The final score stood at 11-5.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Forest led the Hawks offense, posting a game-high three goals (his first three collegiate goals) and an assist. He also picked up two ground balls in the setback.
- Cornejo and Sangster each logged their first collegiate goals and an assists.
- Brady Neyland (Upton, Mass.) was the Hawks' ground ball leader with six. He also caused a team-high three turnovers in the loss.
- Rookie goaltender, Whittenburg, took the loss in a 23-save performance.
- Devin Ramos (Warwick, R.I.) and Jeffrey Schaeffer (Ambler, Pa.) won four and three faceoffs, respectively.
FOR THE PRIDE
- Regis outshot the Hawks 58-33 throughout the game.
- Michael Tremblay (Arlington, Mass.) put up a hat-trick for the Pride.
- Daras and Leighton each had two goals and two assists in the win. Cherry also scored two goals.
- Wagner had three assists and logged one tally in the win.
- George Nicolopoulos (Windham, N.H.) marked a game-high 11 ground balls.
- JJ LaRose (Litchfield, N.H.) earned his first win of the season in net, as he played 45 minutes and stopped 8-of-11 shots on net. Tommy Murphy (Concord, Mass) played the last 15 minutes and stopped 3-of-5 shots on net.
The Hawks will host Rivier on Saturday (Mar. 23) in a noon game at Alumni Field.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS