LEICESTER, Mass. – The Becker College men's lacrosse team dropped their home opener to the visiting Fighting Scots of Gordon College by a score of 23-1 on a freezing cold Tuesday afternoon at Alumni Field.
March 5, 2019
Score: Gordon 23, Becker 1
Records: Gordon (3-0) | Becker (0-2)
FOR THE HAWKS
- Becker's lone goal was scored by Mitchell Eldridge (Bourne, Mass.), and assisted by Tyler Forest (Simi Valley, Calif.). This marked Eldridge's first collegiate goal, and Forest's first collegiate assist.
- Brady Neyland (Upton, Mass.) and goalkeeper Daniel Whittenburg (Eastford, Conn.) each had a team-high three ground balls in the setback.
- Whittenburg suffered the loss in net as he stopped 23-of-47 (.489) shots.
FOR THE FIGHTING SCOTS
- Dan Arthur (Manorville, N.Y.) led all scoring with a game-high six goals. He also assisted three goals, picked up two ground balls and caused one turnover.
- Tytus Moen (Agawam, Mass.) was the team-leader with six assists. He also had three goals himself and collected five ground balls and caused two turnovers.
- Nick Tozier (Winston Salem, N.C.) finished the day with six points on four goals and two assists.
- Austin Early (Palmyra, Va.) posted three goals and assisted another in the win.
- Billy Biegun (Wappingers Falls, N.Y.) was the Fighting Scots' ground ball leader with a game-high nine.
- Jacob Hryzan (Lakeville, Mass.) scored one goal and assisted two.
- Three other Fighting Scots had two points in the match.
- Starting goaltender Jay Gallipo (Dover, N.H.) earned the win in net. Jacob Lopez (Beverly, Mass.) and Lars Githmark (Rutland, Mass.) each saw just under 20 minutes in net.
- Gordon held a 56-12 edge in ground balls, and won 23-of-26 faceoffs.
- Gordon scored nine unanswered goals in the first quarter and continued their run in the second quarter until Becker's Eldridge scored on a helper from Forest (12-1). The Fighting Scots' Arthur however led a 3-0 run to end the half with a score of 15-1.
- The Fighting Scots scored six consecutive goals in the third period as Moen led the pack with two goals and two assists.
- In the final quarter, Mike Dubien (Nashua, N.H.) and Matt Laurence (Hopkinton, Mass.) scored unassisted goals for a 23-1 final score.
The Hawks resume play on Thursday (March 7) as they will host Nichols in a 4 p.m. matchup. Gordon heads south to Baltimore and will faceoff against Goucher in a 4 p.m. match on Monday, March 11.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS