WORCESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College men's ice hockey team lost 5-2 to visiting Suffolk University on Sunday evening in the third-place game of the Third Annual Steve Hoar Memorial Tournament at the Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center in Worcester.
December 1, 2019
Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center, Worcester, Mass.
Score: Suffolk 5, Becker 2
Records: The Rams of Suffolk 3-6-0 | The Hawks of Becker 2-8-0
- The Rams quickly got on the board just 2:06 into the game when Suffolk freshman forward Max Rand (Marston Mills, Mass./Walpole Express (EHL)) scored his first career goal to put the visitors up 1-0. The goal was assisted by freshman forward Alex Kolowrat (Praha, Czech Republic/PAL Islanders (UPSHL-NCDC)) and freshman forward Griffin Clark (Charlotte, N.C./South Shore Kings (USPHL-NCDC)).
- The Hawks soon found the equalizer, as Becker junior defenseman Phillip Garcia (Bronx, N.Y. / Finlandia) scored his third goal of the season at the 10 minute mark on a power play, assisted by senior forward Trey McMillen (Grapevine, Texas / Rochester Ice Hawks (NA3HL)) and freshman forward Ian Zaleski (Boise, Idaho / Helena Bighorns (NA3HL)).
- With 3:50 remaining in the first, Suffolk freshman forward Nick Lachaine (Lakeville, Conn./Navan Grads (CCHL)) gave the Rams the lead with his second goal of the year, assisted by sophomore forward Shawn Montgomery (Natick, Mass./Northeast Generals (NAHL)) and freshman forward Devin Lowe (Owings Mills, Md./South Shore Kings (USPHL-NCDC)). 2-1 would remain the score headed into the first intermission.
- Becker would tie the game up once again early in the second period as sophomore forward Jason Diamond (Lakeville, Conn. / Connecticut Nighthawks (USPHL)) scored his team-leading seventh goal of the season at 1:51 on a power play, assisted by freshman forward Mikey Wilson (Alexandria, Va. / Springfield Jr. Pics (USPHL)) and junior defenseman Shawn Peckham (Plymouth, Mass. / Northeast Generals (NA3HL)).
- Suffolk retook the lead at 7:33 in the second when Kolowrat scored his second goal of the season, assisted by Clark and junior forward Joseph Mortillaro (Tampa, Fla. / Islanders Hockey Club (USPHL-NCDC)).
- The Rams made it a two-goal lead with 8:13 remaining in the second period when sophomore defenseman Billy Roche (Braintree, Mass. / South Shore Kings (USPHL-NCDC)) scored his third goal of the year, assisted by Mortillaro and sophomore forward Joe Feeney (Foxboro, Mass. / South Shore Kings (USPHL-NCDC)). The second period ended with Suffolk leading 4-2.
- At 6:51 into the third period, Suffolk started to pull away. Clark, already with two assists on the night, scored his first career goal to make it 5-2, assisted by Rand and sophomore forward John Garrity (Dublin, Calif. / Islanders hockey Club (USPHL-NCDC)). That would hold up for the final score.
BETWEEN THE PIPES
- Becker senior goalie Cody Foster (Saugus, Calif. / Tri-City IceHawks (USPHL)) finished the night with 34 saves between the pipes.
- Suffolk freshman goalie Cal Wilcox (Pomfret, Conn. / South Shore Kings (USPHL-NCDC)) recorded 35 saves in the win.
STEVE HOAR MEMORIAL TOURNAMENT
Earlier in the day, Franklin Pierce University defeated Wilkes University 4-1 in the championship game. Franklin Pierce sophomore forward Ryan Gorbett (Cleveland Heights, Ohio / Islanders Hockey Club) was named the Tournament MVP while junior goalie Ian Wallace (West Islip, N.Y. / PAL Jr. Islanders) was named the Goalkeeper of the Tournament.
The Hawks are back on the ice on Saturday when they play host to Wentworth in a 1:10 p.m. game. The Rams travel UMass Boston on Friday in their next contest, with the puck dropping at 7:00 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics