WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – Golden Bears junior Nolan Zweep (Abbotsford, B.C., Canada) netted the overtime game-winner as the Western New England University Golden Bears came back from two separate two-goal deficits to beat the Becker Hawks 5-4 in overtime on Saturday night in Commonwealth Coast Conference play.
November 23, 2019
Olympia Ice Rink
Score: Western New England 5 – Becker 4 (F/OT)
Records: The Becker College Hawks 2-6-0 (1-5-0 CCC) | The WNE Golden Bears 2-4-1 (1-4-1 CCC)
A faceoff win by senior Corey Kennedy (Clemmons, N.C.) started the play on Zweep's game-winning goal. Kennedy retrieved his won faceoff on the left-wing half boards, sending a pass behind the net to junior Anthony Frati (Churchville, N.Y.).
Frati found a wide open Zweep in the low slot and after settling the pass, Zweep had time to time to pick his spot, firing a shot over the blocker of Hawks junior goalie Zach Skop (Pittstown, N.J.) to give Western New England the 5-4 win.
The Golden Bears scored a pair of goals just 1:28 apart to tie the game at 2-2 in the second period with goals by Zweep and senior Andrew Green (Plainview, N.Y.).
Becker would take back their two-goal lead on back-to-back power-play goals from junior Romain Wild (Mex, Switzerland) scored 1:36 apart to take a 4-2 edge.
Western New England pulled within one late in the second period on Frati's fifth goal of the season.
The Golden Bears tied the game 4-4 early in the third on a power-play tally by freshman Demitrios Stefanou (Oaklyn, N.J.), his second goal of the year.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Wild's two-goals are his first two tallies of the season and he's up to seven points for the Hawks.
- Garcia finished with one goal and two assists, his first three-point night of the year.
- Skop made a career-high 28 saves for the Hawks but falls to 1-1-0 with the loss.
FOR THE GOLDEN BEARS
- Zweep had a three-point evening for the Golden Bears, moving him to a team-high seven points in seven games this season.
- Kennedy had a three-assist night and has a team-high six assists on the season.
- Senior Kyle Carducci (Rocky Hill, Conn.) made 22 saves for the Golden Bears and improves to 2-2-1 with the victory.
The Hawks host the Steve Hoar Memorial Tournament on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 as they welcome Franklin Pierce, Wilkes, and Suffolk to Worcester Ice Center for the two-day tournament. Western New England hosts Post on Nov. 26 at 7:00 p.m. prior to the Thanksgiving Break.