WORCESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College men's ice hockey team won 3-2 in overtime against visiting Western New England University in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action on Friday night at the Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center in Worcester.
February 1, 2019
Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center, Worcester
Score: Becker 3, Western New England 2 (OT)
Records: Becker (3-17-1, 2-10-1 CCC) | Western New England (6-15, 1-12 CCC)
• The Hawks struck first just 7:15 into the game when Becker freshman forward Jake Cagnina (South Berwick, Maine / Boston Junior Rangers (EHL)) scored his fourth career goal off the power play, assisted by sophomore forward Charles Costello (Philadelphia, Pa. / Cape Cod Islanders). The hosts took a 1-0 lead.
• The Golden Bears found the answer with 4:20 to go in the first period as WNE senior forward Matt O'Dea (Orland Park, Ill. / Concordia (MIAC)) found the back of the net, assisted by junior forward Corey Kennedy (Clemmons, N.C. / Neumann University (NCAA Dlll)) and senior forward Steve Beck (Milton, N.Y. / Philadelphia Jr. Flyers (EHL)). The two teams entered the first intermission knotted at 1-1.
• Western New England would go up 2-1 late in the second period as O'Dea would strike again with 1:21 to go in the second period, once again assisted by Kennedy.
• Trailing for the first time in the game, the Hawks would answer with just 25.2 seconds to go in the second, as sophomore forward Romain Wild (Mex, Switzerland / St. Norbert) scored his third goal of the season, with assists was doled out to senior forward Corey Schafer (Johnstown, Pa. / Missoula Maulers) and junior forward Alex Kielczewski (Grand Prairie, Texas / Portland Jr. Pirates). It was the first point of the season for Kielczewski. Once more, the teams entered intermission with the score tied.
• After a scoreless third period, the game appeared headed for a tie for both teams. But 2:51 into overtime, Becker freshman forward Jason Diamond (Lakeville, Conn. / Connecticut Nighthawks (USPHL)) scored his third career goal as the Becker bench exploded in celebration. Assist was credited to freshman forward Zachary Bettmeng (Sioux Falls, S.D. / Steele County Blades).
BY THE NUMBERS
• Becker junior goaltender Grant Martens (Bloomington, Minn. / Helena Bighorns) tallied 43 saves between the pipes.
• WNE junior goaltender Kyle Carducci (Hartford, Conn. / Hartford Jr. Wolfpack (USPHL Premier)) recorded 30 stops on the night.
• The Golden Bears outshot the Hawks, 45-33. Total penalty minutes were 12-6 against Becker.
The Hawks and Golden Bears will have a quick turnaround as they meet again tomorrow night at the Olympia Ice Center in Springfield, Massachusetts for a 7:00 p.m. game.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics