WORCESTER, Mass. – The Becker College men's ice hockey team was shutout by the No. 10/12 Endicott Gulls 8-0 Saturday evening in a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) matchup at the Worcester Ice Center.
January 26, 2019
Worcester Ice Center
Score: Endicott 8, Becker 0
Records: Endicott (14-4-2, 8-4-0 CCC) | Becker (2-16-1, 1-10-1 CCC)
Carter Horwitz (Tustin, Calif.) started the scoring for the Gulls 3:14 into the game. Tommy Besinger (Milton, Mass.) followed with another goal just 24 seconds later to up the score to 2-0. Late in the first period, Joseph Slovak (South Yarmouth, Mass.) scored to send Endicott ahead 3-0 heading into the first intermission.
Endicott advanced their lead to four just 45 seconds into the second on a power-play goal from Jason Kalinowski (Stamford, Conn.). The second period saw a plethora of penalties from each team.
Three Gulls scored four goals in the third to settle the final score at 8-0. Daniel Kucerovy (Bethel Park, Pa.) scored two, while John Carricato (Ridge, N.Y.) and Luke Rodgers (Clarkston, Mich.) each had one apiece.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Endicott outshot Becker, 54-18.
- The game saw a total of 87 penalty minutes on 27 infractions. Endicott served 50 minutes on 14 infractions, while Becker served 37 on 13.
- Endicott's goalie, Elijah Harris (Haverhill, Mass.) earned his first collegiate shutout win in net, stopping all 18 shots.
- Becker's Grant Martens (Bloomington, Minn.) took the loss in 20 minutes played. Cody Foster (Saugus, Calif.) played 36:46 minutes, while Zack Skop (Pittstown, N.J.) played the final 3:14 of the game.
- Endicott went 3-for-9 on power-play opportunities, while Becker went 0-for-8.
- The Gulls are 8-0-0 all-time against Becker.
Both teams resume CCC play next Friday (Feb. 1). Becker will host Western New England, while Endicott will travel to the University of New England.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS