WORCESTER, Mass. – The Becker College men's ice hockey team was shutout by the No. 12 University of New England (UNE) Nor'Easters, 6-0, in a Saturday afternoon Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) contest.
January 19, 2019
Harold Alfond Forum
Score: UNE 6, Becker 0
Records: UNE (13-4-1, 7-3-0 CCC) | Becker (2-15-1, 1-8-1 CCC)
The first period was scoreless. UNE outshot the Hawks 26-3 in the frame. The Hawks' penalty-killing unit went 2-for-2.
The Nor'Easters started their scoring 3:35 into the second period when Brady Fleurent (Biddeford, Maine) was fed the puck from Jamey Zanca (Camden, Maine) and Andrew Slotnick (Canterbury, Conn.). The next goal occurred at 11:46 when Fleurent and Brendan Donohue (New Hope, Pa.) setup Aaron Aragaon (Whittier, Calif.) for the 2-0 score. UNE added another one less than a minute later when Aragon scored on a power-play.
UNE scored three third period goals to advance the score to 6-0. Brett Mecrones (Medford, Mass.), Liam Darcy (Alfred, Maine), and Jeff Eppright (Barrington, N.J.) registered the tallies. The Nor'Easters fired off 20 shots in the final frame, while Becker saw three.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Fleurent finished the game with one goal and two assists, while Aragon had two tallies on the night.
- The Nor'Easters outshot Becker 68-14 throughout the contest.
- Tate Sproxton (Surrey, B.C.) earned the shutout in net for the Nor'Easters, stopping all 14 Becker shots.
- Grant Martens (Bloomington, Minn.) took the loss, turning away 58-of-64 shots on net in 56:20 played. Ryan Clifford (Coventry, R.I.) relieved Martens and saw four shots on net in the last 3:40 of the game.
- UNE went 2-for-5 (.400) on power-play chances.
The Hawks will head to Endicott on Friday (Jan. 25), and then return home Saturday (Jan. 26).
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS