WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – The Becker College men's ice hockey team used three third period goals to defeat the Golden Bears of Western New England Saturday evening by a score of 4-1 for their first Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) win of the season.
December 1, 2018
Score: Becker 4, Western New England 1
Records: Becker (2-10-1, 1-6-1 CCC) | Western New England (1-10-0, 0-8-0 CCC)
In the first period, the Golden Bears outshot the Hawks, 21-1. The score remained 0-0 as Becker's goaltender Cody Foster (Saugus, Calif.) turned away all 21 shots on net.
Becker was the first to score 15:10 into the second period when Romain Wild (Mex, Switzerland) and Corey Schafer (Johnstown, Pa.) setup Christian Leon (Natick, Mass.) for the 1-0 gain. It wasn't long after that Western New England equalized the score at 1-1 on a David Kleyman (Brooklyn, N.Y.) goal.
Becker used three late third period goals to push past the Golden Bears and earn the win. Wild registered the game-winner on helpers from Schafer and Charles Costello (Philadelphia, Pa.) with just under five minutes to go. Two minutes later, Costello scored one of his own, on Schafer's third assist of the night. Becker put the final tally on the board with 10 seconds to go, as Tim Atkins (Greenfield, Mass.) scored an empty-net goal, for his first collegiate goal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Both Schafer and Costello finished with three points on the evening. Schafer recorded three assists, while Costello had one goal and two helpers.
- With tonight's assists, Schafer holds a career 52 points (12 goals, 40 assists).
- Wild finished the game with one goal, and one assist.
- In total, Western New England outshot Becker 67-22.
- Foster was an impact player in this game, as he logged a career-high and school record-high 66 saves in the win.
- Western New England's Baylee Johns (Woodstock, Conn.) suffered the loss in an 18-save performance.
- Becker saw 32 penalty minutes on 12 infractions, while the Golden Bears served 22 minutes on seven infractions.
- Becker went 2-for-4 on power play opportunities, while Western New England failed to convert on nine attempts.
The Becker men's ice hockey team breaks for the holiday season, and will resume play on Jan. 3 at Westfield State.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS