WORCESTER, Mass. – The Becker men's ice hockey team was shutout by No. 6/8 Salve Regina University by a score of 5-0 in Friday evening Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Worcester Ice Center.
November 30, 2018
Worcester Ice Center
Score: Salve Regina 5, Becker 0
Records: Salve Regina (7-1-1, 5-1-1 CCC) | Becker (1-10-1, 0-6-1 CCC)
Salve Regina's first score of the game came late in the first period as Danny Eruzione (Winthrop, Mass.) tallied a power-play goal on an assist from Matthew Dillon (Grafton, Mass.). The Seahawks outshot Becker 19-2 in the period.
The Seahawks fired off 28 shots on net in the second and managed to up the score to 2-0 on another power-play goal from Eruzione 13:51 into the frame. Vincenzo Renda (Westmount, Quebec) and Dillon were awarded the assists on the goal.
The Seahawks struck three times in the third period. Evan Schmidbauer (San Diego, Calif.) started the scoring two and a half minutes in on a shorthanded goal. The duo of Renda and Dillon setup Paul Boutoussov (Dana Point, Calif.) for the fourth, and Sage Englund (Cave Creek, Ariz.) settled the final score at 5-0 with just over five minutes left on the clock. Becker did not see a shot on net in the third period.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Eruzione finished with two goals, while Dillon and Renda finished with three and two assists, respectively.
- The Seahawks outshot Becker 69-5.
- Despite the loss, Becker's Grant Martens (Bloomington, Minn.) was phenomenal in net, as he stopped a career-high 64 shots on net. His save percentage on the evening was 92.8 percent.
- Salve Regina's Louis-Felix St. Jean (St. Bruno, Quebec) earned his first collegiate win in net, stopping five Becker shots – three of which were from senior forward Corey Schafer (Johnstown, Pa.).
- Salve Regina went was .500 (2-4) on power play opportunities.
The Hawks and Seahawks will matchup again tomorrow evening, in a 7 p.m. game at Salve Regina.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS