WORCESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College men's ice hockey team picked up their first win of the season on Sunday, prevailing 2-1 in overtime over visiting Stonehill College in the consolation game of the Second Annual Steve Hoar Memorial Tournament at the Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center in Worcester.
November 25, 2018
Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center, Worcester
Score: Becker 2, Stonehill 1 (OT)
Records: Stonehill (1-5) | Becker (1-9-1)
• The first period saw a good deal of action and physical play, but ultimately no scoring.
• Becker junior goalie Cody Foster (Saugus, Calif. / Tri City Ice Hawks) stopped all 16 shots he faced.
• Shots in the first period were 16-5 in favor of the Skyhawks.
• The game remained scoreless until 6:00 remaining in the second period when, with the Hawks on a power play, Becker junior forward Tyler Forest (Simi Valley, Calif. / Williston State) took a quick pass coming from around the corner and shot it in from the left side of the net for his second goal of the season, with senior forward Corey Schafer (Johnstown, Pa. / Missoula Maulers) credited with the assist. The Hawks went into the second intermission with a 1-0 lead.
• Shots in the second period were 12-8 in favor of the Skyhawks.
• The Hawks appeared poised for their first victory of the season and their first shutout in almost a year as they continued to lead with less than two minutes left. But Stonehill was awarded a power-play with 1:45 to go and the Skyhawks called timeout, pulling their keeper. Just ten seconds later, the visitors found the equalizer when Stonehill sophomore defenseman Seth Murray (Gloucester, Mass. / Tilton School) scored, assisted by senior forward Shamus Maloney (North Attleboro, Mass. / Neponset Valley River Rats), tying it up at 1-1 and sending the game into overtime.
• Shots in the third period were 17-12 in favor of the Skyhawks.
• It took Becker just 13 seconds in overtime to claim victory, as freshman forward Jason Diamond (Lakeville, Conn. / Connecticut Nighthawks (USPHL)) scored his second career goal off an assist from sophomore forward Romain Wild (Mex, Switzerland / St. Norbert) as the Hawks claimed their first win of the season.
BY THE NUMBERS
• For the Hawks, Foster finished the game with 44 saves.
• Stonehill senior goalie Billy Palmer (Cranston, R.I. / Boston Advantage and Boston Bandits (EHL Premier)) finished with 24 stops between the pipes for the Skyhawks.
• Stonehill outshot Becker, 45-26, over the course of the game.
The Hawks are back on the ice on Friday when they host Salve Regina University at 7:00 p.m. The Skyhawks, meanwhile, will host Post University on Tuesday evening at 7:00 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics