EVERETT, Mass. – Despite holding a 2-1 lead midway through the second period, the Becker Hawks fell to the Leopards of Wentworth in Friday evening Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action by a score of 4-2.
November 9, 2018
Score: Wentworth 4, Becker 2
Records: Wentworth (1-3-1, 1-2-0 CCC) | Becker (0-5-0, 0-3-0 CCC)
Wentworth went ahead first as Connor Busch (Lake in the Hills, Ill.) connected with Connor Beaudet (Buffalo, N.Y.) for the Leopard lead 1:53 into the game. Becker tied the score 10 minutes later when Zachary Bettmeng (Sioux Falls, S.D.) put the Hawks on the board with help from Corey Schafer (Johnstown, Pa.) and Tyler Forest (Simi Valley, Calif.). The score would remain tied 1-1 heading into the first intermission.
The trio of Bettmeng, Schafer, and Forest put another Becker tally on the board just over five minutes into the second period, giving the Hawks their first lead of the game. However, Wentworth responded with two goals in a one minute span to take back a 3-2 lead. Jake Hallisey (Quincy, Mass.) scored the Leopards' second goal on a power play opportunity, while Nate Chase (Plainfield, Ill.) had what proved to be the game-winner a minute later.
Wentworth added in another goal from Byron Carlisle (Orleans, Mass.) to finalize the score at 4-2, giving Wentworth its first win of the season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Becker's Bettmeng finished the game with a game-high two goals. Forest and Shafer assisted both scores.
- Wentworth's Carlisle and Dante Flori (Waltham, Mass.) also finished with two points each as Carlisle recorded a goal and an assist, and Flori had two helpers on the evening.
- Wentworth outshot Becker, 35-22 and held a 40-37 advantage inside the face-off dot.
- Thomas Draper (Binghamton, N.Y.) earned the win in net, stopping 20-of-22 shots on net. He moves to 1-3-1 on the season.
- Becker's Grant Martens (Bloomington, Minn.) suffers the loss in a 31-save performance.
- Each team went 1-for-4 on power play opportunities.
The Hawks and Leopards will face off again tomorrow, in Becker's home rink, the Fidelity Bank Worcester Ice Center, at 5 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS