LEICESTER, Mass. – Chargers junior Sarah Morin (Pelham, N.H.) scored a pair of goals, her first multi-goal game of the season, helping the Colby-Sawyer Chargers to a 3-1 win over the Becker Hawks on a rainy Wednesday afternoon at Alumni Field.
October 2, 2019
Score: Colby-Sawyer 3 – Becker 1
Records: The Becker College Hawks 4-5 | The Colby-Sawyer College Chargers 5-5
With the game tied at 1-1 in the fourth, the Chargers earned a penalty corner, leading to the eventual game-winning goal.
On the entry pass to sophomore Chrissy Coffield (North Conway, N.H.), she slid a pass to her left to senior Alie Jones (Cape Neddick, Maine). After settling the pass, Jones scored past the stick side of Hawks sophomore goalie Baileigh Griese (Woodstock, N.Y.), giving Colby-Sawyer a 2-1 advantage.
The Chargers added insurance at 53:00 on the second goal of the afternoon by Morin.
On a scrum in front of the net, Jones' shots were initially turned away by Griese, but one of the rebounds found Morin alone in front and she shoveled a shot into the net, giving Colby-Sawyer a 3-1 lead on Morin's fifth goal of the season.
After a scoreless opening half, the Hawks broke through for the game's first goal at 30:49.
Early in the third quarter, Becker earned a penalty corner, passed in by sophomore Kylian Kelly (Shrewsbury, Mass.). Her pass found the stick of senior Jocelyn Lebel (North Grafton, Mass.). Lebel's initial shot was blocked but found Kelly about seven yards from goal. Kelly turned and fired a shot past Chargers junior Abby Ladd (Colchester, Vt.), giving Becker a 1-0 lead.
Colby-Sawyer answered back later in the third quarter at 39:22 on the game-tying goal by Morin.
The goal originated on a pass from sophomore Caroline Tompkins (Marblehead, Mass.) that found Morin about 10 yards from goal.
Morin's shot took a favorable deflection off a Hawks stick and Griese couldn't make the reaction save, tying the match at 1-1.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Kelly's third-quarter goal is the third on the season, giving her three goals and two assists in nine games.
- Lebel picked up her second assist of the season on Kelly's goal.
- Griese takes the loss, falling to 4-5, despite a strong 10-save performance.
FOR THE CHARGERS
- Morin stands at five goals, no assists through 10 games in 2019.
- Jones' goal is her team-leading seventh of the season, her assist gives her three on the year, tied for most on the Chargers. Jones now has scored in three of the last four Colby-Sawyer matches.
- Ladd moves to 5-4 on the season after claiming the win.
The Hawks return to action on Homecoming Saturday as they get their New England Collegiate Conference schedule underway with a 5:00 p.m. match against Thomas on Alumni Field. Colby-Sawyer heads back into Great Northeast Athletic Conference play with a Saturday home match against Albertus Magnus at noon.