DUDLEY, Mass. – Hawks sophomore Emily Iacovelli (Northbridge, Mass.) broke a 1-1 tie with a with 3:44 remaining in the third quarter, lifting the Becker Hawks to a 2-1 win over the Nichols Bison on Saturday afternoon.
September 14, 2019
Score: Becker 2 – Nichols 1
Records: The Becker College Hawks 3-2 | The Nichols College Bison 3-2
FOR THE HAWKS
- Iacovelli's goal is her team-leading fourth of the season and first game-winning goal of the year. She finished with a team-high three shots on goal.
- Senior Jocelyn Lebel (North Grafton, Mass.) added her first assist of the season on the game-winner.
- Senior Amy Cooper (Monument, Colo.) gave the Hawks a 1-0 lead in the second quarter with her second goal of the season.
- Sophomore Baileigh Griese (Woodstock, N.Y.) finished with seven saves, improving to 3-2 with the win
FOR THE BISON
- Freshman Mackenzie Doran (Wolfeboro, N.H.) scored her fourth goal of the season, tying the game at 1-1 early in the third quarter.
- Senior Mackenzie McDonald (Pembroke, Mass.) assisted on Doran's game-tying goal.
- Senior Brooke Misbach (Guilford, Conn.) finished with three saves but takes the loss to fall to 2-2 on the year.
After a scoreless opening quarter, Cooper got the scoring started with her second tally of the season. Misbach made an initial save on the play but the rebound dropped behind her with Cooper coming out of the pile to take advantage and give the Hawks a 1-0 lead.
The Bison tied the match off a penalty corner. McDonald took a pass off the corner and slid it to Doran, who fired a one-timer past Griese's stick side, tying the game at 1-1.
Becker responded three minutes later for the game-deciding goal. Coming from a penalty corner, Lebel made a pass to the left side of the arc, finding Iacovelli. After a touch to settle the ball, Iacovelli went far side to put Becker back on top, 2-1.
The Hawks are back home on Tuesday at Alumni Field for a 4:00 p.m. match against Anna Maria. The Bison finish off a three-game homestand on Wednesday, hosting Roger Williams at 7:00 p.m.