LEICESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College field hockey team prevailed 2-0 over visiting Regis College in their home opener on Tuesday evening at Alumni Field on the campus of Becker College in Leicester.
September 3, 2019
Alumni Field, Leicester, Mass.
Score: Becker 2, Regis 1
Records: The Hawks of Becker 1-1 | The Pride of Regis 0-1
- The game was headed for a scoreless first half when, with less than a second remaining before the break, Becker senior team captain Samantha Carter (Boothbay Harbor, Maine / Boothbay Region), the 2018 New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) Player of the Year, recovered the ball in front of the Regis net after a defensive save and shot it in for her first goal of the season to put the Hawks ahead 1-0 going into halftime. The initial ruling on the field was no goal, but that ruling was later overturned.
- Becker picked up an insurance goal from freshman defender Madeline Fortenbaugh (Millville, Mass. / Blackstone-Millville) with 7:40 remaining in the game, as she took a pass from senior midfielder Lauren Niemann (Bay Shore, N.Y. / Bay Shore) and beat the goalie for her first career goal as the Hawks took a 2-0 lead.
- Regis freshman forward Sheridan Blaha (Waltham, Mass. / Waltham) got the Pride on the board with just 15.5 seconds remaining in the game off a penalty stroke that just beat the keeper.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Carter, who went scoreless last season during her Player of the Year run, last scored a goal on October 22nd, 2016, against Bay Path College. Her goal on Tuesday against Regis was the second of her career.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Baileigh Griese (Woodstock, N.Y. / Onteora) picked up her third career win and first of the season, tallying nine saves on the day.
- Sophomore midfielder Kylian Kelly (Shrewsbury, Mass. / Shrewsbury) tallied a team-best four shots for the game.
- After losing six of their previous seven games against the Pride in their all-time series, the Hawks have now won two straight dating back to last season.
FOR THE PRIDE
- Regis junior goalkeeper Hope Winkin (Winslow, Maine) had an impressive performance in net, finishing with seven saves.
- Blaha led the Pride with six shots on the day.
The Hawks are back on the field on Saturday when they travel to Johnson & Wales University for a 1:00 p.m. game. The Pride hosts Western Connecticut State on Saturday at 12:00 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics