NASHUA, N.H. – Becker College field hockey rookie Kylian Kelly (Shrewsbury, Mass.) scored the lone goal of the game in the 40th minute to help the Hawks to a 1-0 non-conference win over Rivier University in Thursday evening action, recording the field hockey team's second straight shutout.
October 18, 2018
Score: Becker 1, Rivier 0
Records: Becker (5-8) | Rivier (2-11)
The game was controlled early on by Rivier as the team outshot Becker (6-2) and held the advantage on penalty corners (6-2) through the opening 35 minutes of play. The Raiders had an opportunity late in the stanza to take the lead as freshman Maegan Sheehy (Sabattus, Maine) dribbled around the Hawk goalie and slapped a shot towards the net where Becker junior Amy Cooper (Monument, Colo.) was able to knock it down and make a defensive save.
A flurry of action in front of the Raider net during the 39th minute led to Becker being awarded a penalty stroke. Kelly lifted her shot into the upper left for the game's only goal. The Hawks outshot the hosts 8-3 in the second frame.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Becker outshot the Raiders 10-9.
- Emily Iacovelli (Northbridge, Mass.) led the team with five shots, while Kelley had three.
- Sheehy led the Raiders with six shots on the night.
- Rivier held a wide margin in penalty corners, 16-4, but were unable to capitalize on any.
- Becker freshman Victoria Pilpel (Germantown, Md.) made five saves for her third career shutout.
- Rivier senior keeper Emily Foster (West Lebanon, N.H.) recorded eight saves on the night.
The field hockey team hits the road again on Sunday (Oct. 21) when they will travel to Dean who they just saw earlier this week and defeated 14-0 on their home turf.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Portions of this Release Courtesy of Rivier Sports Information