WESTON, Mass. – Becker College's freshman forward Emily Iacovelli (Northbridge, Mass.) scored the game-winning goal in double overtime on an assist from classmate Kylian Kelly (Shrewsbury, Mass.) to carry the Hawks to their first victory of the season against the Regis Pride Tuesday evening.
September 6, 2018
Score: Becker 2, Regis 1 - OT
Records: Becker (1-1) | Regis (0-3)
Regis struck quickly, as Sidney Lowe's (Lancaster, Mass.) shot was redirected into the net by Aineen Callahan (Diamond Point, N.Y.) in the third minute of action. Despite outshooting Becker 11-1 in the first half, Regis was unable to add to its one-goal lead.
Just over two minutes into the second half, Amy Cooper (Monument, Colo.) sent a shot into the net to bring the Hawks into a 1-1 tie. The Pride had a chance to retake the lead midway through the half on a penalty corner opportunity as Callahan found Joslyn O'Brien (Petersham, Mass.) at the top of the scoring area, but O'Brien's shot was turned away by Becker goalie Baileigh Griese (Woodstock, N.Y.).
The Pride enjoyed a golden opportunity near the end of the first overtime period as Jamie Juskiewicz (Gorham, Maine) created a breakaway with her speed down the field, but she could not slip the ball past Griese, keeping the game tied heading into the second overtime session. Just over two minutes into the second extra period, Kelly's pass found Iacovelli at close range, and she found the back of the net for the game-winning tally.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Becker stayed in the match thanks in large part to Griese, who made seven saves, five of them in the first half to keep the Hawks within one goal.
- Erin Moore (Rosedale, Md.) started in net for the Pride and made one save, with Hope Winkin (Winslow, Maine) taking over at halftime and playing the rest of the contest, collecting one save.
- The Pride finished with 20 total shots, led by Callahan with seven shots and O'Brien with six shots.
- Iacovelli led the Hawks with three of the team's eight shots.
- Regis enjoyed a slight advantage in penalty corners, 12-10.
The field hockey team will travel to Salem State on Wednesday, Sept. 12 for a 7 p.m. game.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Portions of this Release Courtesy of Regis Sports Information