WORCESTER, Mass. – The Becker College football team is off to one of its best starts in school history, as the Hawks improve to 2-0 on the season after defeating Worcester State 12-10 in Friday night action.
September 13, 2018
Score: Becker 12, Worcester State 10
Records: Becker (2-0) | Worcester State (0-2)
Becker took the edge early in the game when Worcester State's Eddy Boamah (Worcester, Mass. / North) fumbled the ball on the opening kickoff return. Becker's Isaac Yeboah (Bronx, N.Y. / Mount Saint Michael Academy) forced and recovered the fumble, allowing the Hawks began their offense on the Worcester State 27-yard line. Despite good positioning, the Hawks were unable to get on the board on their first drive. The Hawks second drive consisted of 86 offensive yards and seven first downs. Becker ended with six points on a six-yard rushing touchdown from Taizon Barrett (Westchester, N.Y. / Walter Panas) for the lead.
Worcester State broke the nil score halfway through the second quarter with a 39-yard field goal from the Lancers' kicker and quarterback Aaron-Moses Williams (Springfield, Mass. / Central). This marked the first score for the Lancers in the 2019 season.
The third quarter was scoreless, as the score remained 6-3, in favor of the Hawks, heading into the fourth quarter.
The fourth quarter featured a touchdown from each team. Becker lengthened their lead with just over four minutes to go in the fourth quarter. On a fourth and goal attempt, Becker's Randy Morgan (Spring Hill, Fla. / Springstead) completed a two-yard run for the 12-3 lead. Worcester State scored their first touchdown of the season late in the fourth as Williams found the hands of Cam Kergo (Mashpee, Mass. / Mashpee) for the tally on a 12-yard pass. A good extra point kick from Williams set the score at 12-10, which later resulted in the final score.
FOR THE HAWKS
- The Hawks had 276 net yards rushing on a school record-high 66 attempts. They averaged 4.2 yards per rush.
- Becker's Morgan finished the game with 105 offensive yards and one touchdown.
- Barrett accounted for the other Hawks touchdown, averaging 7.1 yards per rush, and totaling 64 on the night. On the reverse side of the field, Barrett totaled four tackles, a sack for a loss of 10 yards, he forced a fumble, and registered a quarterback hurry,
- David Collins (Staten Island, N.Y. / Curtis) was second on the team in running yards with 87 on 22 attempts.
- Hawks' wide receiver, Timothy Williamson (Brooklyn, N.Y. / Southbridge) logged one catch for 33 yards.
- Jared Zieman (Bethel, Conn. / Bethel) was the team-leader on defense, totaling 12 tackles (4 solo, 8 assisted) and 0.5 sacks for a loss of five yards. He also had one quarterback hurry.
- Both Ty'Rique Evans-Pergee (Derby, Conn. / Derby) and Nate Oliver (Dartmouth, Mass. / Dartmouth) had nine tackles each.
- Christian Perkins (Melrose, Mass. / Melrose) had three tackles, one sack for a loss of nine yards, and two other tackles for a loss of yards.
FOR THE LANCERS
- Worcester State's Williams threw for 199 yards, completing 19-of-33 (57.6%) of his passes. On the receiving end was Jordan Choquette (Warren, Mass. / Tantasqua Regional) and Kergo who had a combined yardage of 114 yards.
- Williams also put up four points for the Lancers from a kicking standpoint, making one field goal and one extra point attempt.
- Running back Amir Mells (Dorchester, Mass. / Natick) led the Lancers with 41 yards on 12 attempts.
- Nick Ashley (Worcester, Mass. / St. Peter-Marian) was the Lancers' team-leader in tackles with 15 (3 solo, 12 assisted) and one quarterback hurry. Four others reached double-digits in tackles.
The Hawks return home next Friday when they will entertain the Engineers of MIT in a 7 p.m. game under the lights at Alumni Field.