LEICESTER, Mass. – The Becker College baseball team was held to one hit and was shutout by the Lancers of Worcester State who tallied 13 runs on 14 hits and five Hawk fielding errors, in a Tuesday afternoon non-conference tilt.
April 23, 2019
Score: Worcester State 13, Becker 0
Records: Worcester State (17-13) | Becker (11-21)
Worcester State put up five runs on five hits and two Becker errors in the top of the first. Cooper Bigelow (Leominster, Mass.) led off with a single to Becker's shortstop. He stole second, and then Jake Breton (Wilbraham, Mass.) sent him home on a double to right center. The next run scored on a throwing error, and the other three scored on RBI from Michael Ferrara (Easton, Mass.), Seth Leslie (Phillipston, Mass.) and Sam Allen (Springfield, Mass.).
The Lancers added one in the second, another in the fourth and one in the sixth on RBI doubles from Kevin Larkin (Rocky Hill, Conn.), Kenan Kolanda (Sterling, Mass.) and Ferrara, respectively.
Worcester State's starting pitcher Joey Zawisza (Newington, Conn.) was enroute to a perfect game until Becker's Coby Hussey (Claremont, N.H.) hit a single through the left side in the bottom of the seventh. Two groundouts from the next two batters ended the inning for the Hawks.
The Lancers concluded the game with a grand slam from Pat Galvin (Shrewsbury, Mass.) in the top of the ninth, following an RBI walk from Matt Bouley (Hatfield, Mass.) to finalize the score at 13-0.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Becker's Hussey was the lone batter to hit against Worcester State's pitching staff.
- Becker's Eric Trahan (Bristol, Conn.) took the loss in 0.2 innings pitched. He allowed five runs, four earned, on five hits.
- Payton Musco (Litchfield, N.H.) relieved Trahan and went 3.1 innings and allowed two runs on four hits.
- Devin Marcella (Torrington, Conn.) was on the mound for four innings and allowed just one hit, and struck out two Lancers.
FOR THE LANCERS
- Zawisza earned his second win on the mound as he went seven innings allowed just one Becker hit. He struck out two Hawks in his appearance.
- Zawisza combined with performances from Mark Steele (Framingham, Mass.) and Parker Bigelow (Leominster, Mass.) on the mound, shutout the Hawks.
- Worcester State's 14 hits were scattered amongst 11 batters.
- Both Ben Palatino (Hudson, Mass.) and Ferrara had two hits.
- Galvin posted a game-high four RBI as he went 1-for-2 with one run on a homer.
- Palatino and Sam Allen (Springfield, Mass.) each had two stolen bases.
The Hawks will travel to Willimantic, Conn. tomorrow (Apr. 24) to take on Eastern Connecticut in a 6 p.m. game. Worcester State will return home to the Lyons Diamond tomorrow to play host to Nichols. First pitch for the Lancers is set for 4 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS