WORCESTER, Mass. – The Becker College baseball team defeated Worcester State by a score of 6-3 in a Sunday afternoon non-conference game on the campus of Clark University, as the Hawks posted 12 hits against the Lancers.
March 24, 2019
Score: Becker 6, Worcester State 3
Records: Becker (5-8) | Worcester State (7-3)
Becker's Evan Barrera (West Warwick, R.I.) hit his first home run of the season in the top of the first on a shot to left center to put the Hawks ahead 1-0. Worcester State's Seth Leslie (Phillipston, Mass.) responded in the bottom of the fourth on shot to left field to knot the game at 1-1.
Becker took the lead again in the top of the fifth when Daniel Diaz (Teaneck, N.J.) hit an RBI double to left-center, scoring Ben Mazzone (Bristol, Conn.) for the 2-1 lead. Worcester State matched that in the reverse side of the inning when Michael Chaves (Hudson, Mass.) scored on an Andrew Miller (Naples, Fla.) groundout.
Becker pulled ahead in the top of the eighth when Noah Rivera (New Bedford, Mass.) hit home Coby Hussey (Claremont, N.H.) on an RBI double to left field. Tanyon Ventres (Holden, Mass.) hit a single to send home another run home and an unearned run crossed the plate to put the Hawks ahead 5-2.
An RBI double from Hussey in the top of the ninth put the Hawks up 6-2 in the top of the ninth. Worcester State would score another run in the bottom of the ninth on a sacrifice fly from Ben Palatino (Hudson, Mass.), but Becker would win 6-3.
FOR THE HAWKS
- The Hawks scored six runs on 12 hits and one Worcester State error.
- Ventres batted 3-for-4 with one RBI.
- Barrera and Rivera each had two hits for the Hawks.
- Diaz went 2-for-3 with one run scored and one RBI.
- Becker's Tevon Johnson (New Bedford, Mass.) took his first win on the mound in seven innings pitched. He allowed two runs on three hits and struck out five batters. Barrera earned his first collegiate save.
FOR THE LANCERS
- The Becker pitching staff held the Lancers to just four hits which were scattered amongst four batters (Pat Galvin, Cooper Bigelow, Leslie, and Michael Ferrara).
- Sean Mahan (Woburn, Mass.) pitched seven innings, allowing just four Hawk runs on seven hits. Joey Zawisza (Newington, Conn.) took the loss for Worcester in 1/3 innings pitched.
The Hawks will matchup against Massachusetts Maritime on Tuesday (Mar. 26) in Buzzards Bay.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS