AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The Becker baseball team lost to Juniata by a score of 17-8 as they Hawks allotted the Eagles 17 runs on 13 hits and seven errors in Tuesday play at the RussMatt Invitational.
March 12, 2019
Lake Myrtle Sports Complex
Score: Juniata 17, Becker 8
Records: Juniata (2-2) | Becker (0-6)
The Hawks gave up 14 runs in the first three innings to give Juniata a heavy lead to start. They quickly reached the board in the top of the first inning as three runs crossed on two hits and two Hawk fielding errors. Becker's Michael Bianco (Manorville, N.Y.) responded with a sacrifice fly in the reverse side of the inning to make the score 3-1.
The Eagles added in four more runs in the second, as Adam Kipp (Mt. Wolf, Pa.) and Matt Innella (Commack, N.Y.) had RBI doubles and William Duffy (Bronx, N.Y.) had a two-RBI single up the middle. They then poured in seven runs on three hits and two errors in the third inning. The Hawks trailed 14-3 at the end of the third.
Juniata scored one run in the fifth and one in the sixth to advance the score to 16-5. Becker kept the game going and scored three runs in the bottom of the sixth inning. Noah Rivera (New Bedford, Mass.) scored on an error while Coby Hussey (Claremont, N.H.) sent home Santiago on a single to right center.
The next two innings were scoreless. Juniata put the final tally on the board in the top of the ninth when Jake Swank (Portage, Pa.) scored, who had previously reached base on an error. The final score stood at 17-8.
- Becker's Evan Barrera (West Warwick, R.I.) batted 3-for-4 on the day with a triple and two runs.
- Rivera had two hits on the day for the Hawks.
- Becker's five other hits came from Hussey, Ben Mazzone (Bristol, Conn.), Tanyon Ventres (Holden, Mass.), Diaz and Santiago.
- Juniata's Duffy batted 3-for-5 with four RBI, while Devyn Carper (Altoona, Pa.), Swank, and Kipp each had two hits for the visitors.
- Austin Suders (Marion, Pa.) earned the win on the mound. He pitched five innings and allowed five runs (two earned) and struck out three batters. The Eagles used three relief pitchers, including Dominic Hoyle (Woodbridge, Va.) who struck out five batters in two innings pitched.
- Becker's four pitchers allotted 13 hits, 17 runs (seven earned) and walked 15 batters. Bianco took the loss. Payton Musco (Litchfield, N.H.) saw 5 2/3 innings on the mound and allowed two runs (one earned) and struck out four Eagle batters.
Becker will resume play on Thursday and will face Colby-Sawyer in a doubleheader starting at 2:45 p.m. at Osceola Heritage Park.