AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The Becker College baseball team was defeated by the Anna Maria AMCATS by scores of 8-5 and 4-0 in the Hawks' opening games at the RussMatt Invitational.
March 9, 2019
Lake Myrtle Sports Complex
Records: Becker (0-3) | Anna Maria (7-3)
GAME ONE: Anna Maria 8, Becker 5
The Hawks never trailed until the top of the seventh inning when Anna Maria rallied past Becker, scoring four runs on four hits to pull ahead 8-5 and eventually earn the game one victory.
Becker began the scoring when they put up three runs in the bottom of the second inning on one hit and two errors. With two outs on the board, Noah Rivera (New Bedford, Mass.) doubled to left field. The Hawks then loaded the bases following walks from Michael McMahon (Canton, Mass.) and Coby Hussey (Claremont, N.H.). Mel Gonzalez (Worcester, Mass.) registered the first RBI of the game on a hit by pitch. Two more runs crossed the plate on Anna Maria errors to give the Hawks a 3-0 lead. The Hawks' lead increased to four in the third inning when another run scored on a fielding error.
Anna Maria reach the board in the top of the fourth inning as they scored three runs on four hits. Nick Genatossio (Sutton, Mass.) began the inning with a double to centerfield. Adam Twitchell (Shrewsbury, Mass.) followed with a single to shortstop, advancing Genatossio to third. Jake Crevier (Ware, Mass.) sent home Genatossio on a single up the middle. Two more AMCAT runs scored on a Kosta Drosidis (Holden, Mass.) double to right center. Becker responded with a double from Hussey and an RBI single from Willis Pollard (Worthington, Mass.) in the bottom half of the inning. Becker led 5-3 heading into the top of the fifth.
Following 1-2-3 top and bottom of the fifth innings, Anna Maria put one unearned run on the board in the top of the sixth for a 5-4 score.
Anna Maria rallied back in the top of the seventh, as the AMCATS scored four runs on four hits to pull ahead 8-5. Twitchell gave the AMCATS their first lead of the game when he hit a two-RBI double to left field, plating Holland and pinch runner Jake Montas (Manchester, Conn.). Another two runs came in when Drosidis hit his second double of the day, scoring Jason Shell (Sandwich, Mass.) and Montas.
Despite a double from Evan Barrera (West Warwick, R.I.) and a single from Rivera with two outs in the bottom of the seventh, the AMCATS sealed the win with a routine groundout.
- Becker's Hussey batted 2-for-2 with a walk, two runs and a stolen base.
- Both Ben Mazzone (Bristol, Conn.) and Rivera had two hits for the Blue and White.
- Anna Maria's Drosidis went 3-for-3 from the box with two doubles and a game-high four RBI.
- Both Twitchell and Crevier had two hits on the evening. Twitchell logged both the game-tying and game-winning run for Anna Maria. Crevier swiped a base from Becker.
- Liam Cunningham (Northbridge, Mass.) earned the win on the mound, as he pitched three innings of relief and did not allow a Becker run to score. Becker's relief pitcher Daniel Diaz (Teaneck, N.J.) suffered the loss in one inning pitched.
GAME TWO: Anna Maria 4, Becker 0
The second game of the twinbill was scoreless with starting pitcher Tevon Johnson (New Bedford, Mass.) on the mound until the bottom of the fifth inning. He pitched four and 1/3 innings and allowed three runs (all unearned) on two hits. He struck out five batters in his first start, and second collegiate appearance.
In the bottom of the fifth inning the AMCATS scored three runs on one hit and two Becker errors. Greg Gehering (Southold, N.Y.) led off the inning with a single to second base. A walk and a throwing error led to bases loaded for Anna Maria. The first run was scored on an RBI walk from Genatossio, while the other two were scored on a fielder's choice and throwing error.
A double-steal from Drosidis and Crevier in the bottom of the sixth added another run to the AMCATS' total.
- Anna Maria's Joe Gemelli (Grafton, Mass.) earned the shutout as he allowed four hits in the seven innings pitched.
- Michael Bianco (Manorville, N.Y.) relieved Johnson, seeing his first collegiate appearance on the mound, and pitched 1 2/3, allowing one run on one hit.
- Bianco, Tanyon Ventres (Holden, Mass.), Rivera, and Pollard accounted for Becker's four hits.
- Anna Maria's three hits came from Shell, Crevier and Gehring.
The Hawks are back in action tomorrow and will face Fitchburg State in a doubleheader, starting at 3:30 p.m. at Sanford Stadium (1201 Mellonville Ave, Sanford, FL 32771). The AMCATS will head back north and resume play on Wednesday, March 13 at the New England Baseball Complex.