GORHAM, Maine --- The Becker College women's soccer team lost 3-0 at the University of Southern Maine Huskies on Saturday afternoon at Hannaford Field in Gorham, Maine.
Inside the numbers
• Junior Ciera Berthiaume (Windham, Maine) scored the first and the final goal of the game to
• With the win, Southern Maine extends its winning streak to four games and improves to 4-0. The Huskies last started a season undefeated through four games in 1989, under the direction of then head coach Ed Flaherty, current Huskies' baseball coach. Becker suffered its first loss of the season and is now 1-1-1 overall.
• Southern Maine dominated play, holding a 28-3 advantage in shots and a 4-1 lead in corner kicks. Asserting themselves early, the Huskies took the 1-0 lead in the sixth minute on a Berthiaume's third goal of the season. Using a strong individual effort, Berthiaume carried the ball down the left side and cut the ball twice beating a pair of defenders before rocketing in a shot to the far post. USM broke through for a 2-0 lead in the 33rd when junior Emma Cost (Waterboro, Maine/Massabesic) collected a loose ball outside of the box and lofting in a far post upper ninety goal.
• With a two goal advantage in hand, Southern Maine added a late goal on a well-paced through ball from senior Emma Dennison (South Portland, Maine) to Berthiaume in the 79th for the 3-0 final. Berthiaume now has four goals on the season, while Dennison has three assists.
• Becker goalkeepers freshman Lyndsey Cobb-Wilkins (Elmira, N.Y.) and senior Jordyn Martel (Chicopee, Mass.) split time in goal. Cobb-Wilkins mad seven saves and allowed a pair of goals, while Martel turned back eight shots and allowed one goal. Senior Taylor Canastra (Fairhaven, Mass.) mad one save to preserve the clean sheet. Canastra now has six wins via shut out in her career.
Becker is back on the field on Sunday when they travel to Thomas College of Maine for an 11:00 a.m. game.