LEICESTER, Mass. --- Senior forward Adrianna Dowdy (East Haven, Conn. / Hill Regional Career) became the eighth player in the history of the Becker College women's basketball program to reach 1000 career points as she led the Hawks to a 66-54 victory over the visiting Nighthawks of Newbury College in New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) action on Tuesday evening at the Leicester Gymnasium on the Becker campus in Leicester.
January 22, 2019
Leicester Gymnasium, Leicester
Score: Becker 66, Newbury 54
Records: Becker (13-5, 10-1 NECC) | Newbury (6-11, 4-6 NECC)
FOR THE HAWKS
• Dowdy entered the game with exactly 999 career points. She reached 1001 on a jumper with 3:31 to go in the first quarter, and Becker called a timeout to allow her teammates, coaches and fans to recognize her accomplishment. The senior team captain finished with 15 points, 12 rebounds, three assists and three blocks.
• Senior forward Ciara McKissick (Charlton, Mass. / Shepherd Hill Regional) filled the stat-line with 10 points, 14 rebounds, eight assists and seven steals. The seven steals matched a career-high for McKissick.
• Junior guard Cassidy Harrison (Foxborough, Mass. / Foxborough) finished with 12 points, five rebounds and three assists.
• Junior guard Kelsey Maynard (Millville, Mass. / Tri-County Vocational) came off the bench to score 10 points in just 18 minutes.
• Sophomore guard Jazlyn Contreras (Pawtucket, R.I. / St. Mary Academy Bay View) added seven points and five steals.
• The victory gives the Hawks seven straight victories for the first time since the 2006-2007 season.
FOR THE NIGHTHAWKS
• Senior forward Savannah Olsen (Battle Creek, Mich. / Lakeview) led the Nighthawks with 19 points and 17 rebounds.
• Freshman forward Jada Gee (Springfield, Mass. / Springfield Central) came off the bench to pull down 10 points and eight rebounds.
• Sophomore guard Tatianna Occena (Spring Valley, N.Y. / Paramus Catholic) scored nine points.
• Senior guard Kristen Connors (Wilmington, Mass. / Wilmington) chipped in eight points.
• Becker led early on but Newbury surged into the lead late the first half, going into halftime with a 30-27 lead. But early in the third quarter, the Hawks exploded with a 13-2 run, a stretch capped off with a jumper from Harrison that put them ahead 40-35. Becker continued to expand on their lead, going up by as much as 14 as they pulled away down the stretch.
The Hawks are back on the court on Saturday when they travel to New England College for a 4:00 p.m. game. Becker will have the opportunity to avenge their sole conference loss from earlier this season, a 63-58 loss on November 27th. The Nighthawks, meanwhile, host Lesley University on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics