QUINCY, Mass. – The Becker College women's basketball team dealt Eastern Nazarene their first New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) loss of the season Tuesday evening, as the Hawks edged the Lions 45-43 with a game-winner triple from junior guard Cassidy Harrison (Foxborough, Mass.) with three seconds on the clock.
January 8, 2019
Lahue Physical Education Center
Score: Becker 45, Eastern Nazarene 43
Records: Becker (7-5, 4-1 NECC) | Eastern Nazarene (9-3, 4-1 NECC)
FOR THE HAWKS
- Harrison led the Hawks with not only the game-winner, but in scoring with 14 points on five field goals (two triples) and a pair of free throws.
- Sarah Ware (Oakham, Mass.) had 11 points for Becker and went a perfect 4-for-4 from the charity stripe.
- Both Adrianna Dowdy (East Haven, Conn.) and Ciara McKissick (Charlton, Mass.) had six points and seven rebounds each.
- McKissick and Jazlyn Contreras (Pawtucket, R.I.) had four assists apiece.
FOR THE LIONS
- Kyra Fleharty (Lewistown, Mont.) recorded a double-double of 17 points and 11 rebounds in the setback. She also recorded two assists, two blocks and a steal.
- Courtney Barba (Pismo Beach, Calif.) scored 13 points, while Shannon Chau (San Francisco, Calif.) chipped in six points and a team-high three assists.
- Mya Timms (Phoenix, Ariz.) and Tia Torio (Manteca, Calif.) led the team with two steals each.
- Becker took the first lead of the game on a Harrison triple, but Eastern Nazarene matched that with a Fleharty three-pointer. The Lions saw as big as a five point lead in the first quarter, but Becker matched it and headed into the second quarter tied at 8-8.
- In the second quarter, neither team saw a lead greater than four. Becker had its largest lead of the game with 5:01 remaining in the second when Dowdy put the Hawks ahead 15-11 on a layup assisted by McKissick. The Hawks led for the majority of the frame and went into the intermission ahead 23-20.
- Barba began the third period with a triple to tie the score at 23-23. The score tied twice more in the third period, and the teams headed into the final frame at 32-32.
- In the fourth, the teams traded points on the first couple possessions. Eastern Nazarene got ahead by four following a Jenn Burnham (West Valley City, Utah) layup midway through the period. Becker responded with a pair of free throws from Harrison. On the next possession Barba drained a three, forcing a Becker timeout with the score at 43-38, in favor of the Lions. Becker finished the game out with a 7-0 run, including a three-pointer/game-winner from Harrison with three seconds on the clock to seal the win.
- The game saw 10 ties and six lead changes.
The Hawks return home on Thursday (Jan. 10) as they will entertain Dean in a 6 p.m. tilt.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS