WORCESTER, Mass. --- The Becker College women's basketball team opened their 2018-19 season with a 62-47 loss at WPI in the opening round of the Worcester City Tournament on Friday evening in Worcester.
November 9, 2018
Harrington Auditorium, Worcester
Score: WPI 62, Becker 47
Records: WPI (1-0) | Becker (0-1)
AT A GLANCE
• Becker senior forward Adrianna Dowdy (East Haven, Conn. / Hill Regional Career) posted a double-double with 12 points and a game-high 13 rebounds to go along with three steals.
• Becker junior guard Cassidy Harrison (Foxborough, Mass. / Foxborough) led the Hawks with 16 points, going eight-of-eight from the free throw line.
• WPI sophomore Maddie Blake (Bedford, NH) poured in a career-high 20 points.
• The Hawks spotted the Engineers a 19-0 lead before getting on the board with 2:47 to go in the first quarter.
BY THE NUMBERS
• WPI junior Spencer Vinson (Los Angeles, CA) also established career-bests with 13 points, seven rebounds and three steals. Freshman Bailey Savage (Charlton, MA) debuted with eight points and seven boards while senior Alyssa Paul (Schaghticoke, NY) accounted for five of the Engineers 14 helpers.
• Becker senior forward Ciara McKissick (Charlton, Mass. / Shepherd Hill Regional) added seven caroms.
• WPI raced out to a 19-0 advantage before Harrison broke the ice with a layup as 2:25 remained in the first period. Becker had attempted four field goals and committed seven turnovers while WPI was 7-for-11 with only one turnover to that point in the contest.
• The Crimson and Gray went up by as much as 27 with 1:10 left in the half. Becker then used six free throws, including a pair with no time on the clock, to cut the deficit to 22.
• It remained a 20-plus point margin until Becker freshman guard Riley Berry (Margate, Fla. / Piper) canned a jumper with 1:17 to go in the third. Becker continued to chip away and slice the difference to nine as Harrison drained a 3-pointer with 4:07 to play. The hosts once again pulled away to finish the game with the 15-point margin following a late layup by Becker's Dowdy.
• The Engineers hauled in seven more rebounds (26-29) and committed 11 fewer turnovers (24-13). As a team Becker went 10-10 at the charity stripe.
The Hawks will play in the Tournament Consolation Game on Saturday at 5:00 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS
Follow the Hawks all season long! Go to http://www.beckerhawks.com and follow us on Twitter: @BeckerAthletics , Instagram: @beckercollegeathletics and Facebook: @BeckerCollegeAthletics