WORCESTER, Mass. – The Becker College men's ice hockey team dropped their home opening game to Assumption College as the Greyhounds piled on four goals in the final period for an 8-1 non-conference win.
October 28, 2018
Worcester Ice Center
Score: Assumption 8, Becker 1
Records: Assumption (2-0-0) | Becker (0-2-0)
Assumption took the first lead of the game 7:15 in on a Brendan Phillippon (Salem, N.H.) goal. He hit the top left corner of the net for the 1-0 gain. Dante Maribito (Georgetown, Mass.) and Christopher Stalmok (Paxton, Mass.) were awarded the assists. The Greyhounds held a 13-6 shot advantage in the period.
Becker tied the game early in the second period when Corey Schafer (Johnstown, Pa.) found the back of the net on passes from Caleb Labrie (Greene, Maine) and Christian Leon (Natick, Mass.). In the 12th minute, the Greyhounds took back the lead on a shorthanded goal from Matt Damelio (Rochester, N.Y.) who scored on a breakaway down the middle. Assumption upped their lead to three when Robert Holyoke (Middleboro, Mass.) scored in the 14th minute and then Devan Sheth (Ashland, Mass.) scored the Greyhound's second shorthanded goal of the game for a 4-1 score going into the second break. Assumption held a 17-14 edge in shots.
Assumption took advantage of numerous Becker penalties in the third, as the Hawks accumulated 38 penalty minutes in the frame. The Greyhounds doubled their score on goals two goals from Dante Tomassini (North Branford, Conn.), and one apiece from Stalmok and Damelio. The final score stood at 8-1, in favor of the Greyhounds. Assumption racked up 22 shots, in comparison to Becker's three in the final period.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Assumption's Damelio finished the game with three points on two goals and one assist. Tomassini finished with two goals, while Stalmok registered a goal and an assist in the win.
- Becker's Shafer was the lone Hawk to score in the setback.
- Assumption outshot the hosts 49-26 in total.
- Becker served a total of 50 minutes on 14 infractions throughout the game. Assumption had 10 minutes on five infractions.
- Assumption's goalie, Robbie Campbell (Raritan, N.J.) earned the win in net, stopping 25-of-26 (.961) shots on goal.
- Becker's Grant Martens (Bloomington, Minn.) was tabbed with the loss in 46:51 minutes played. Ryan Clifford (Coventry, R.I.) relieved for the final 13 minutes of the game and made 10 stops.
Assumption's next game is scheduled for Thursday (Nov. 1) against UMass-Dartmouth at 6:35 p.m. Becker resumes play on Friday (Nov. 2) as they host Curry in their conference opener. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Worcester Ice Center.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS