CHICOPEE, Mass. – Becker College's Alexis Keohane's (North Brookfield, Mass. / Notre Dame Academy) two first half goals proved to be sufficient for the Hawks to earn their first New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) win over the host, Elms College, Tuesday evening.
October 2, 2018
Score: Becker 2, Elms 0
Records: Becker (3-5, 1-0 NECC) | Elms (3-8, 1-2 NECC)
Becker jumped out to a quick start as they received a penalty corner and a shot off the corner within the first two minutes of the game. It wasn't long after their first offensive opportunity, that they took the lead on a Keohane goal. The Hawks persisted, but were not able to capitalize on another goal until late in the first half. With just a minute to go in the first, Keohane registered her second goal of the game on an assist from Lauren Niemann (Bay Shore, N.Y. / Bay Shore) to put the Blue and Gray up 2-0. The Hawks outshot the Blazers 5-2 in the first frame, and held a heavy 8-2 advantage in corners.
The Hawks, once again, outshot Elms in the second frame (8-2) but were unable to increase the lead to more than two, resulting in the 2-0 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Becker rookie goaltender, Victoria Pilpel (Germantown, Md. / Seneca Valley) recorded not just her first collegiate in in net, but also her first career shutout in a two-save performance.
- Elms' Jillian Lapponse (Enfield, Conn. / Enrico Fermi) was tabbed with the loss, as she saved 7-of-9 (77.8%) shots on net.
- Becker held an overall 13-4 advantage in shots, and 11-4 margin in penalty corners.
- Keohane was the Hawks' team-leader with four shots on net.
- Elms' Haley Omahen (San Diego, Calif. / Valhalla) and Jeszenia McGuire (Brimfield, Mass. / Tantasqua Regional) recorded the two Blazer shots on net.
- The Hawks snapped a four-game losing streak with the 2-0 win.
- Becker is 23-10 all-time against Elms. Their last win against Elms was in 2015 when they defeated the Blazers 4-0 in the NECC semifinals.
The Hawks return home on Thursday (Oct. 4) when they will entertain Nichols in a 4 p.m. affair at Alumni Field.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS