BUZZARDS BAY, Mass. – A six-run seventh-inning lifted the Hawks to a 10-6 victory over the Massachusetts Maritime Buccaneers in a Tuesday afternoon non-conference baseball game at Commodore Hendy Field. This marks the Hawks' first win over Massachusetts Maritime, as they now stand 1-12 all-time against the Buccaneers.
March 26, 2019
Commodore Hendy Field
Score: Becker 10, Massachusetts Maritime 6
Records: Becker (6-8) | Massachusetts Maritime (3-9)
The Buccaneers put one run on the board in the top of the first when Paul Sances (Middleboro, Mass.) scored on a wild pitch. Massachusetts Maritime doubled their lead in the top of the third inning when Matt Langan (North Easton, Mass.), who reached on a double to left-center, scored on an RBI single from Dylan Sullo (Acushnet, Mass.).
Massachusetts Maritime increased their lead to four in the top of the fifth inning when they scored two runs on three hits, including a two-RBI triple from Alex Schlapak (Dover, N.H.).
Becker broke its nil score in the bottom of the fifth inning when Michael McMahon (Canton, Mass.) singled up the middle, scoring Kevin Santiago (New Bedford, Mass.) who reached previously on a walk. A run from the Buccaneers in the top of the sixth set the score at 5-1, in favor of Massachusetts Maritime.
The game-changer was in the bottom of the seventh inning when Becker scored six runs on five hits to take a 7-5 lead. Ben Mazzone (Bristol, Conn.) led off the inning with a single up the middle. McMahon reached base on a walk, and then designated hitter, Dewayne Thomas (Springfield, Mass.) singled through the left side to plate Mazzone. Coby Hussey (Claremont, N.H.) was up next and singled to left-center to load the bases. Sophomore third baseman, Noah Rivera (New Bedford, Mass.) sent home McMahon and Thomas on a two-RBI double down the left field line to get the Hawks within one run. Back-to-back hit by pitches tied the score at 5-5. A Santiago single down the left field line scored two more for the Blue and White, as the Hawks took a 7-5 command heading into the eighth inning.
Becker increased its lead to five in the bottom of the eighth inning on a throwing error and RBI from Rivera and Evan Barrera (West Warwick, R.I.). The Buccaneers were able to score just one in the top of the ninth, but Becker prevailed 10-6.
FOR THE HAWKS
- Becker matched a season-high 14 hits in the victory.
- Becker's Hussey went 3-for-5 with two runs and two stolen bases.
- Rivera batted 2-for-5 with a double, two runs and a game-high three RBI.
- Tanyon Ventres (Holden, Mass.), Santiago and Thomas also had two hits in the outing.
- Barrera hit his fifth double of the season in the win.
- Jack Snyder (Shrewsbury, Mass.) was the starting pitcher and went 4 1/3 innings, allowing four runs on seven hits. He struck out four batters at the plate. Eric Trahan (Bristol, Conn.) relieved Snyder in the fifth inning and allowed just one hit to close out the inning.
- Daniel Diaz (Teaneck, N.J.) pitched four innings of relief, and allowed just two runs on six hits to earn his second win of the season.
FOR THE BUCCANEERS
- The trio of Sances, Sullo and Schlapak accounted for nine of the Buccaneers' 14 hits. Schlapak logged a team-high two RBI and a triple.
- Langan went 2-for-3 with a double and two walks in the setback.
- Marley Dembitzki (North Dartmouth, Mass.) had two sacrifice hits for the Buccaneers.
- Massachusetts Maritime used five pitchers in the outing. John Teehan (Boston, Mass.) pitched the opening four innings and allowed no runs on four hits and struck out three.
- Mason Ashburn (East Freetown, Mass.) suffered the loss in two innings pitched, as he allowed six runs on five hits. He walked three batters and struck out four.
The Hawks are on schedule to host Rhode Island College in their home opener at Rochdale Park tomorrow at 4 p.m.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS