NORTHBORO, Mass. – The Becker College baseball team opened its 2019 season with a 9-3 loss to the Bison of Nichols College who scored nine runs on 11 hits and five Becker errors.
March 5, 2019
New England Baseball Complex
Score: Nichols 9, Becker 3
Records: Nichols (1-2) | Becker (0-1)
Nichols reached the board in the bottom of the second inning when Chris Anderson (Naugatuck, Conn.) hit a solo shot to left field. The Bison then added three more with two outs on the board. Joe Assensa (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) drove in one run on an RBI single up the middle, and then Christian Naccari (Ossining, N.Y.) sent two runs home on a single to centerfield. The Bison led 4-0 heading into the top of the third.
Nichols added to its lead in the third inning with a sacrifice fly from Kyle Desjardins (North Granby, Conn.) – sending home Anderson who opened the inning with a double down the left field line – and a double steal attempt.
The Hawks chipped away at the six-run lead in the fourth, as they scored three runs on three hits and one Bison error. Michael Bianco (Manorville, N.Y.) had an RBI single, sending Noah Rivera (New Bedford, Mass.) home, who reached previously on an error. Michael McMahon (Canton, Mass.) and Willis Pollard (Worthington, Mass.) sent home the other two runs on a groundout and a single to centerfield, respectively.
Three Becker errors in the reverse side of the inning led to another Nichols run. The Bison led 7-3 heading into the top of the fifth.
Nichols added two more runs in the bottom of the sixth on a Becker throwing error and a passed ball. The final score stood at 9-3, in favor of the Bison.
BY THE BOOK
- Nichols' Assenza batted 3-for-4 with a double, three runs, one RBI and one walk. He also stole two bases from the Hawks.
- Anderson and Tyler Heenan (Milford, Conn.) batted .500 on the day. Anderson contributed two runs and one RBI, while Heenan scored one run.
- Nacarri batted in a game-high two RBI in the win for the Bison.
- Becker's William Negron (Bronx, N.Y.), Tanyon Ventres (Holden, Mass.), and Bianco each had two hits on the day, while Pollard accounted for the remaining hit. Both Ventres and Bianco each batted .667 (2-3) with a walk.
- Isaac Blanford (Fayetteville, N.Y.) earned the win for the Bison after relieving Brendan Duffy (Stratford, Conn.) who pitched the first 3 1/3 innings.
- Becker's starting pitcher, Michael Martinez (Raleigh, N.C.) was tabbed with the loss in two innings pitched. He allowed four runs on four hits. He struck out two batters at the plate. Tevon Johnson (New Bedford, Mass.) saw three innings on the mound while Ventres and Daniel Diaz (Teaneck, N.J.) saw two and one, respectively.
The Hawks head south later this week, and will open up the RussMatt Invitational against Anna Maria Saturday, March 9 in Auburndale, Fla.
KEEP UP WITH THE HAWKS